New member replace clock for tach.

Ricky

Hi, Richard,

Someone may have done exactly what you want to do and will chime in.  In the meantime, several of us have simply converted our "idiot light" dashes to the optional stock full gauge dash with a tach replacing the fuel gauge to the left of the speedo.  The clock is retained in its original position and the fuel gauge joins the other smaller gauges for amps and temperature.  Oil pressure is still indicated with a red warning light in this configuration.

There is a guy on eBay (sonnie24) that sells a complete kit for this conversion.  I did this conversion on my '70 Monte several years ago with good success.  I also took that opportunity to upgrade all of the dash lighting to LEDs.   If you are interested in that approach, I can send you a detailed instruction set to follow.  Below are a couple of Before and After photos of my dash.

PC084347.JPG

PC174424.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ricky said:

Hi I want to replace the clock in the dash with a tach can anyone help me with this? Pictures coming soon.

Rick, I took the simple way by replacing the clock with the tach… I was hoping to put the tach where the fuel gauge is and put the fuel gauge in the old clock position , but didn't want to disturb the circuit board... There may be a new circuit panel out there to allow this,  but i'm not aware of it.   Ed … 

The idiot lights still work,  but to the horrors of some, about 25 years ago I put some real gauges in the shift console… Note the shifter glass has 4 … The 700r4 was a great upgrade…

MCInterior.JPG

7 hours ago, EVC said:

The idiot lights still work,  but to the horrors of some, about 25 years ago I put some real gauges in the shift console… Note the shifter glass has 4 … The 700r4 was a great upgrade9a46

One thing to watch for is the range,  i replaced my original because it would  stick around 3000 ram. Anyway when it came it was ls6 tach with higher redline. Any way original now repaired and will  be reinstalled next time dash is off

• Like 1

Your going to get a lot of good options here with this group, lots of knowledge. If you really wanna go big you can instal a Dakota Digital dash, they really look sharp. I had/have the full gauge dash in my 70, but when I installed the new engine I wanted new gauges so installed oil and water under the dash. Another member here installed 2 or 3 of the gauge pods on his center console. Keep us posted on what direction you go.

Gauges.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 8:45 PM, MCfan said:

Hi, Richard,

Someone may have done exactly what you want to do and will chime in.  In the meantime, several of us have simply converted our "idiot light" dashes to the optional stock full gauge dash with a tach replacing the fuel gauge to the left of the speedo.  The clock is retained in its original position and the fuel gauge joins the other smaller gauges for amps and temperature.  Oil pressure is still indicated with a red warning light in this configuration.

There is a guy on eBay (sonnie24) that sells a complete kit for this conversion.  I did this conversion on my '70 Monte several years ago with good success.  I also took that opportunity to upgrade all of the dash lighting to LEDs.   If you are interested in that approach, I can send you a detailed instruction set to follow.  Below are a couple of Before and After photos of my dash.

PC084347.JPG

PC174424.JPG

Hi Bob yes I am interested in this approach I would love for you to send me the instruction. I really like the look of your dash. Thanks for replying to my post.

23 hours ago, Ricky said:

Hi Bob yes I am interested in this approach I would love for you to send me the instruction. I really like the look of your dash. Thanks for replying to my post.

My email is revans5784@aol.com

• 1 month later...