Body Number This is not the same as the sequence number in the VIN

Jeffrey Aldrich

Can anyone shed some light on this?  For example if you have a body tag 1970 that has 00595 in the body part of the tag does that mean it was the 595 car off the line? Especially if the tag states it came off the second week of January 1970?

Absolutely not. The production number is on the vin under the windshield ( last six digits, remember US starts at 100,000 and Canada starts at 500,000. Or on the build sheet. The numbers on the data tag are internal numbers for gm and have no bearing on what your looking for. 

• Like 3

The "body tag" will tell you what options and where/when your car was assembled, but have no relation on the sequence the body itself was produced.

Seeing as most model production starts in Sept/Oct of the previous year, a January car will have a much higher number in the V.I.N.

34 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Absolutely not. The production number is on the vin under the windshield ( last six digits, remember US starts at 100,000 and Canada starts at 500,000. Or on the build sheet. The numbers on the data tag are internal numbers for gm and have no bearing on what your looking for. 

So why does the body tag number for example 00595 change from body tag to body tag. ? and if the tag has an 01 B on it why is that not Jan second week. 1970 ?  

O1B is second week of January. The zero doesn’t mean 70. The year is above that, top line ST-number. The sequence numbers on the body tag are internal gm production numbers. There is not s lot of information on them. But they will be on your build sheets. The body tag gives you first part of vin, assembly plant on line one. Trim seat type and color , paint code ( vinyl top or upper lower color. That’s line two. Than the build date and gm numbers ( apparently not relevant to us, but are on the build sheet) and possibly some other codes on line three but most end there. My junk 71 is 07B. Second week of July. 

O1 B. Means the second week of January 

so why does it not mean second week of 1970. ?  And why is the tag number oo595 so low.  

and why does the body tag number change from body tag to body tag. 

in just trying to get some answers. On that number. I realize it’s nothing to do with vin. 

I believe that 00595 data number is used by the Fisher Body division. As discussed, there is no correlation with the VIN sequence number. Maybe Fisher Body numbered the bodies on a calendar year basis rather than model year? That might explain why it is low. Also note that other car bodies are likely in the same sequence (Chevelles, etc).

As for the 01B date code, since yours is a 1970 model which was built between Aug 1969 to July 1970 the code does mean the second week of January 1970. If it was 09B it would be the second week of September 1969.

01B means second week of January because January is the first month 01, February 02, March 03 etc. October 10, November 11. Etc. The 00595 will be on the top row of the build sheet next to the vin. My build sheets  are unreadable at the very top edge so I’m not sure what what it exactly says it I believe it’s box 9. 

By the way it’s actually just a coincidence that your car is a 70 and it’s starts with a zero. It will happen on 71 also in October, November and December. ST-?? 13857. The question marks are your year. 

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that your car was an early production body that got put aside or stored until production went into full swing.

The number you're looking at includes all G.M. bodies produced, and from looking at the assembly plant number, your car was more than likely shipped there and sat until G.M. gave the O.K. to start up the assembly line. Meanwhile, the other plants had been had been producing cars for a few months by then. 

It may be one of the earliest Monte bodies created, but got shuffled back in assembly just because it didn't get shipped to the right assembly plant. 

But.... Like I said..... It's just a guess. 

20 hours ago, Dtret said:

01B means second week of January because January is the first month 01, February 02, March 03 etc. October 10, November 11. Etc. The 00595 will be on the top row of the build sheet next to the vin. My build sheets  are unreadable at the very top edge so I’m not sure what what it exactly says it I believe it’s box 9. 

Yes the oo595 is on my build sheet.  
thanks for the responses!  
thanks. That what I’m thinking also. 

61,684. I’m not disagreeing with anything said here. I just find it very unproductive of gm to build 61,683 other cars while that one just sat. I guess  if it was a special order car or an executive car that may help explain it. 

• Like 2

Who know how the order works... lol

With the G.M. strike that year, and other factors such as higher demand for other body style runs, it's not that strange to see this happen.

My vin # is 132861, "B" code, and was assembled a week after Jeffrey's. 

I'd guess that it just depends on which body style is in higher demand from the plant of assembly.

• 3 weeks later...

My '70 Van Nuys SS was also assembled the second week of January. Sequence #164181. The first sequence # that left that plant that month was 159234, and the last one was 167285. 

Scott S., please post a pic of your trim tag. 

Dan

20200308_082553.png