Long Shot!!

Machboat

This is a total long shot. I had a 1970 Monte Carlo SS back in middle 70s. It had the 454 and Turbo 400 automatic in it. It was a Burgundy Color with a Black Vinyl top. It had a crème colored cloth interior with a bench seat in the front. It also had the factory air lift in the back. You wouldn't believe the story about the air lift. Any way I bought it used and resold it a few years later. Is there any way with knowing this much information to track down the VIN and then in turn track down the current location. That is assuming it hasn't been destroyed. I am from SE Iowa. I licensed it in Des Moines county and the previous owner had it registered in Henry County. Thanks for the help!!

Not a lot of options with that little information. You can try to do a DMV records search that may turn up all vehicles you've had registered under your name, but that's a long shot, if your state DMV even offers that service. Worth calling them up though.

Even then, you'll have a hard time tracking down the vehicle, due to privacy concerns. If you have any police that are friends, they may be able to do a VIN search for you, if by some small chance you do find it, as long as it doesn't jam them up in the process.

I didn't know if GM/Chevrolet had perhaps sold a list of the VINs and corresponding to options/RPOs to anyone/company.

As you said if I had the VIN and have police friends (which I do) they could do a records search. I was hoping for a reverse records search using the features of the car. Color, engine, tranny, air ride, etc to find the VIN of the vehicle.

I am pretty sure that info is out there somewhere, the issue is finding who has it.

Thanks for the reply.

30 minutes ago, Machboat said:

I didn't know if GM/Chevrolet had perhaps sold a list of the VINs and corresponding to options/RPOs to anyone/company.

As you said if I had the VIN and have police friends (which I do) they could do a records search. I was hoping for a reverse records search using the features of the car. Color, engine, tranny, air ride, etc to find the VIN of the vehicle.

I am pretty sure that info is out there somewhere, the issue is finding who has it.

Thanks for the reply.

We're not as lucky as far as some of the Ford and other manufacturers in that regard. I seem to recall something about a fire or something too that destroyed a lot of the Chevrolet records, but my memory could be failing me there.

Even with a VIN, there's no guarantee the police will be able to find it. If the car is not currently registered someplace, it won't show up in a search the cops can perform. I ran into this with an old Monte of mine I'm looking for, and a couple of my buddies tried real hard, in multiple databases to find it with no luck. Pretty sure it was sold to a dealer who drove it, who then sold it to another dealer a couple years later who kept it. My guess is they just slap a 'dealer' plate on it when they drive it, so it still doesn't show up in the DMV system.

33 minutes ago, Machboat said:

I knew it was a long shot. Thanks for the reply!

Good luck, keep us posted. 

You could always find another one in the mean time, and hang out here. This is certainly the best place for honest, accurate information. Everyone here will go out of their way to help you with any questions or help you may need.

• Like 3

To the best of my knowledge records were kept on the number of particular Monte's with certain colors, engines, transmissions and things like that but I have never heard of any records that were kept regarding linking certain interiors, vinyl  roof's, wheel, hubcap or things like that.  You don't say how long ago you sold it but it does sound like it was either late 70's or early 80's so even if you could remember who you sold it to and who they sold it to and on down the line as the years went by I may be impossible to find your old SS.

Like it has already been said, if you had the VIN there may a small possibility it could located.  We have been able to hook a couple people with their old Monte's but it isn't easy.  You also mention, " It also had the factory air lift in the back. You wouldn't believe the story about the air lift."  I am not sure if you aware but every SS454 produced had the air ride system as part of the Z20 SS Package.  Good Luck on your search.

rob

• Like 1

I only had the car for a few years, back then I was buying/trading cars yearly. 

I did not realize that the air ride was part of the option. Cool!

Thanks for the info.

Dave