Upper radiator hose for small/narrow radiator

TheBMan

My 1970 has the small (narrow) radiator with the 3-bolt radiator support topper as opposed to the wide radiator and 4-bolt topper. (picture attached). As you can see, the upper hose fits very poorly. I cannot find an alternate/correct hose. @FrankOC mentioned that this has been discussed on this site in the past but my searches have turned up nothing. Is anyone aware of a hose supplier or a way to trim this hose to fit properly? I can take a shot at it (trimming) but I'd rather not butcher a hose via trial and error if someone knows the method.

IMG_0975.jpg

Do you have your old hose?  If you did you could use it as a template to cut the new one to fit better.

rob

• Like 1

The hose is 'trim to fit'. Trial and error is about the only way, but remember....measure twice, cut once.

I seem to recall years ago there would sometimes be a line marked on the hose if it were for multiple applications, but still wouldn't trust that without checking the fit first.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jft69z said:

The hose is 'trim to fit'. Trial and error is about the only way, but remember....measure twice, cut once.

I seem to recall years ago there would sometimes be a line marked on the hose if it were for multiple applications, but still wouldn't trust that without checking the fit first.

@jft69z Yeah, in hindsight I feel somewhat silly for asking if anyone has a "method". I'm completely capable of trimming the hose. LOL 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Do you have your old hose?  If you did you could use it as a template to cut the new one to fit better.

rob

Unfortunately, no. I briefly considered upgrading to the larger radiator (just because) but my core support doesn't accommodate the 4-hole top plate. Besides, my 'standard' radiator is a 3-row unit so it should be more than adequate.

When I did my engine swap I ordered new hoses from Summit. And yes I did the check if it fits your car 🤣 The top hose was way to long and had to trim it. 

RadHose.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply on this. I have never been able to find the hose for the smaller rad. I cut it on the end that fits on the rad and just keep cutting until it fits decent. It is usually part way into the curve where I end up.

75D20539-5723-43B4-ACBA-1C63051EDA1A.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 8:52 PM, jft69z said:

I believe there actually was a separate part number to begin with but I assume with the small rad Montes being pretty uncommon the manufacturers don’t bother to make the correct hose.