AC delete

riverdogs00

Group, on my 70' that I've converted from a 350/350 to 454/4spd, I'm trying to eliminate as much clutter as I can.  Part of that entails the AC.  Everything under the hood has been removed and now am cleaning up wiring.  I won't be using the wipers, blower motor etc on this car.  My question is two fold.  There is a grommet at the firewall where all of the wiring goes through ( see pic).  Had I realized when I had rhe whole dash out I would have tackled then, but the dash is all back in (changed heater core before I realized I won't be running heater hoses to the engine).  I can simply cut the wires and push them through the grommet,  but wondered if there was a better way.  I don't anticipate ever needing the ac, but if I ever sold it, it would be nice if that option existed.    The other question, is whether or not eliminating the TCS relay, and associated items would cause any issue.  I doubt it, but wanted to ask.   Btw, the wood is holding the engine in place until my Trans arrives 

20230306_133903.jpg

20230306_133921.jpg

I've never built a hot rod or modified but I don't think I could or would cut out any harness. Like you said if you ever sold the car what would the next guy do. Just my opinion but it's your car.  Good luck with the project.

• Like 1

It probably will be a "to do" but look to see if you can access the a/c harness plug/connector and remove the wiring. I have not done this but have a harness to install into my brother's 71 SS along with a few other new harnesses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

It probably will be a "to do" but look to see if you can access the a/c harness plug/connector and remove the wiring. I have not done this but have a harness to install into my brother's 71 SS along with a few other new harnesses. 

I did look under the dash to see if I could simply pull the whole harness back through, coil up, tag and secure but that whole dash has to come out to do it.

• Sad 1

I've replaced the A/C harness before. Pretty sure you can remove all of it, but you would need to get some connectors off the HVAC control switch, plus a couple other spots. Not impossible to do, but removing the dash pad may make it a lot easier.

You could also tape it all off and push it back thru under the dash, but you said you're trying to clean things up.

I also have special wood blocks to keep the engine in place without the trans for my Monte & Z/28. Even labeled them so I don't use them as a scrap for something else 😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

I've never built a hot rod or modified but I don't think I could or would cut out any harness. Like you said if you ever sold the car what would the next guy do. Just my opinion but it's your car.  Good luck with the project.

Yup, agreed. That's why I'm asking. This car simply wont be driven in inclement weather.  I'm looking for options

1 minute ago, jft69z said:

I've replaced the A/C harness before. Pretty sure you can remove all of it, but you would need to get some connectors off the HVAC control switch, plus a couple other spots. Not impossible to do, but removing the dash pad may make it a lot easier.

You could also tape it all off and push it back thru under the dash, but you said you're trying to clean things up.

I also have special wood blocks to keep the engine in place without the trans for my Monte & Z/28. Even labeled them so I don't use them as a scrap for something else 😁

I could easily push the wires back through, tape up and put the grommet back in place. Would need to remove the relay and such.  Id think I could just leave the under dash items still connected.  This actually would be the best option. Will just need to label and make sure all are insulated/capped.    That wood the right size can be hard to come by - especially right at the moment when you realize you need it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, riverdogs00 said:

That wood the right size can be hard to come by - especially right at the moment when you realize you need it.

I had to take a grinder to one of them, but it works great now.

• Like 1

I would also think twice about keeping the wiring and wiper motor intact too. Most states require it to pass a DMV inspection. Unless your making a track or total show car out of it, or not drive it on the street I would leave them intact. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Montemedic said:

I would also think twice about keeping the wiring and wiper motor intact too. Most states require it to pass a DMV inspection. Unless your making a track or total show car out of it, or not drive it on the street I would leave them intact. 

I wondered about that.  Its intact, just removed. will need to dig into our DMV a bit. I know after the initial VIN inspection on my SS, nothing further is needed other than a trip to renew tags with no further visual inspections. I've never even had the wipers on my SS on (do they work?? lol) in the 6 years Ive owned it.

17 hours ago, riverdogs00 said:

Group, on my 70' that I've converted from a 350/350 to 454/4spd, I'm trying to eliminate as much clutter as I can.  Part of that entails the AC.  Everything under the hood has been removed and now am cleaning up wiring.  I won't be using the wipers, blower motor etc on this car.  My question is two fold.  There is a grommet at the firewall where all of the wiring goes through ( see pic).  Had I realized when I had rhe whole dash out I would have tackled then, but the dash is all back in (changed heater core before I realized I won't be running heater hoses to the engine).  I can simply cut the wires and push them through the grommet,  but wondered if there was a better way.  I don't anticipate ever needing the ac, but if I ever sold it, it would be nice if that option existed.    The other question, is whether or not eliminating the TCS relay, and associated items would cause any issue.  I doubt it, but wanted to ask.   Btw, the wood is holding the engine in place until my Trans arrives 

20230306_133903.jpg

20230306_133921.jpg

The A/C harness is a SEPARATE harness that was added to the car if the A/C option was selected by a given buyer. The harness plugs into the car harness at one male / female connection point inside the car cabin near the center of the dash. There is also a ground wire near the blower motor that has to come off also.

Pulling the harness into the cabin or out to the engine bay is, I believe, gonna require removal of a couple of A/C ducts under the dash. Start by removing the plastic duct that is right above the transmission hump in the floor. Two bolts there, self tapping easy to get out. Put some lube on the bolts when you reinstall them because they can strip the plastic / fiberglass material they thread into. Next step is likely gonna be removal of the "Y" duct for the defroster. That activity requires removal of the dash pad. At this point you should be able to pull the harness in either direction, into the cabin or into the engine bay. If you decide to pull the harness into the cabin you are gonna have to remove the relay and hardware that is on the evap case.

53 minutes ago, LS65Speed said:

The A/C harness is a SEPARATE harness that was added to the car if the A/C option was selected by a given buyer. The harness plugs into the car harness at one male / female connection point inside the car cabin near the center of the dash. There is also a ground wire near the blower motor that has to come off also.

Pulling the harness into the cabin or out to the engine bay is, I believe, gonna require removal of a couple of A/C ducts under the dash. Start by removing the plastic duct that is right above the transmission hump in the floor. Two bolts there, self tapping easy to get out. Put some lube on the bolts when you reinstall them because they can strip the plastic / fiberglass material they thread into. Next step is likely gonna be removal of the "Y" duct for the defroster. That activity requires removal of the dash pad. At this point you should be able to pull the harness in either direction, into the cabin or into the engine bay. If you decide to pull the harness into the cabin you are gonna have to remove the relay and hardware that is on the evap case.

perfect.  I have access to both of those items