hanging doors

Denny

Hey guys,finally got the body bolted back on the frame of my 70 monte project. getting ready to rehang the doors so I can repair 1/4s.Not sure how much I will need to cut out so I figured better hang the doors for a guide . I have doors that the hinges have been completly removed ,any tricks on were to start with the hinge position and alignment? any advice greatly appreciated!

Install the hinges back onto the body,snug, but still able to move. Reinstall (if not there) the door striker. Latch the door to the Striker while making sure to line up the hinges to the door. Tilt and rotate (upper to lower) door till you are happy with the gap at the back of the door, upper door to quarter and lower gap. This will take a lot of time and patience, and ALOT of opening and closing of the door. 

• Like 5

I actually hung mine by myself with a jack and jack stand, it wasn't easy but with persistence I got them adjusted because like you I did have hinges off for color change. May have been easier with fenders off to get in to loosen the hinges up. Good luck with it. May want to tape all the edges.

• Like 2

thanks to both of you the info will help I think Ill get a brother to help me. any danger of not having the height of the door correct if correctly gap to the original rocker and 1/4 ?

The top of the door make even with the top of the quarter panel, the gap between the door and quarter, the "pros" like 5/16 to 3/8".  And the bottom gap "is what it is" as long as it's even the full length. 

• Like 2

If you have a Fisher Body manual, all the door and body gap specs are in there.

There are a couple free ones out there for download if you do a quick search.