Help Please

Fellow Monte Lovers,

Bought my first Monte (72), and can’t find anyone to work on it, went to one place and spent 4K and been going back consistently because things still aren’t fixed. Anyone know of a good mechanic in the south east region? I’m in South Carolina…example nothing on my dash works and I was told there isn’t a way to fix it?? I also attached what was done so far, but I’ll add most things are still broken.

Work-Order-6590-Work-Order-Authorization.pdf

Ughhhh! 😡 I hate people getting ripped off and also given generic answers. Unfortunately I'm not near you neck of the woods. 😔 I'm sure someone close to you will answer. 

• Like 1

That is really sad. People taking advantage of others. I really like the computer diagnostic part. I’m sorry this happened. I’m in Ohio and can’t help. I don’t think this shop has a clue on how to work on older cars. 

• Like 1

@Jared Richey absolute rip off and I have literally no mechanical experience so I’m like damn! This was my fathers gift to me before he passed away last year and I want to get it right:

brakes are horrible

the entire dash doesn’t work, fuel gauge speedometer etc., and if there are supposed to be lights on the dash they don’t work.

New shocks/springs in the front and rear

When I crank it up…it takes a while to start

If nobody is local, go to a car show, or if you have one local drag strip.  Ask some car guys for references they will point you in the right direction. I'd focus on getting the Monte running and stopping right first. The electrical (dash) could be something simple or another can of worms. 

• Like 2

The fact that the dash lights, gas gauge and other dash things are not working would lead me to think it is the dash circuit board or a ground to it.  While the circuit board is a bit of work to replace it is not an impossible task to replace.  It is possible for anyone with a bit of mechanical abilities to do.  For that issue it is where I may start.  If you are not familiar, when most people hear circuit board they think of a hard plastic board with components soldered to it but the dash circuit board is nothing like that.  It is a fiber/plastic sheet with metal traces running through it and the lights and gauges bet their power through these metal traces.

This link is an example of the printed circuit board for the dash:  https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/part/1970/monte-carlo/&keyword=circuit+board

rob

• Like 2

There is a good write up on the forum that Dennis (mcfan) did a while back . It gives you step by step  instructions. Work slow and take your time and you'll be surprised what you can do. And if you get stuck just ask your questions here. 

• Like 2

If/when you decide to tackle this yourself, take pics with your phone, and write a description of each step on paper. The pics will also help when you ask a more specific question here. There are Youtube videos that can help you as well, note that the same era Chevelle's are similar if not identical electrically and mechanically.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MrDavie said:

Fellow Monte Lovers,

Bought my first Monte (72), and can’t find anyone to work on it, went to one place and spent 4K and been going back consistently because things still aren’t fixed. Anyone know of a good mechanic in the south east region? I’m in South Carolina…example nothing on my dash works and I was told there isn’t a way to fix it?? I also attached what was done so far, but I’ll add most things are still broken.

Work-Order-6590-Work-Order-Authorization.pdf 233.21 kB · 24 downloads

try google "classic car mechanic near me" go thru all reviews, look for car shows near you go there and ask the car owners where they go. i had the same issue as you and the same year car 8k later shes all fixed but more than i wanted to spend. there are plenty of great (and smart) people on this site that can and will help you. i dont know how much or how far you want to go with this but always ask questions,all the items on your list are fixable but you must find a person that only works on classic cars.good luck, keep posting updates!!