1970 Monte AC compressor

I needed a new  compressor because it was leaking oil around the pulley clutch area. I was told that if it was leaking oil,it was also leaking refrigerate. I didn't want to buy it now but the price kept going up. So I got it from Summit.I  know I won't have any trouble mounting it. But I don't know about adding the right oil. Could anyone recommend the best you tube video to get everything done right. I probably won't put it in until May, but can start planning it out  

The oil requirements for R12 & R134a are different. Did you get a Sanden compressor, or have the large original type?

Do you have the right tools as well, such as a vacuum pump, gauges, refrigerant weight scale, etc?

• Like 1

I have the large original type of compressor. My Daughters boy friend is an auto mechanic and has all the equipment. I was just wondering if I could mount the compressor ahead of time with the belt on and still run the car without using the ac. The instructions talk about oil in the compressor. don't want to screw that up. I would just like to have it ready. I'm a toolmaker and I like to take my time. He works too fast for me. I don't know if there is any refrigerant in the system now. Also last season the power to the compressor was intermitent (I can't spell) ha ha.

• Like 1

Is the system currently completely sealed from outside air. If not it could be compromised.  I would take it to an AC shop that knows what they are doing.  Compressors are too expensive to risk damage.  Since the compressor isn't running unless the clutch is engaged I don't think it would be a problem to run it with a belt with the clutch not engaged.  A professional may want to completely purge the freon and oil from the system so they know how much oil is in the system.  When running the compressor is circulating the oil and freon at the same time.  Too much and not enough oil in the system is not a good thing.

rob

• Like 2

I agree with the others but will add, if you’re going to mount it I would at least put some oil in the system. When it gets properly repaired it’s all going to be evacuated anyway. You can also put it all together and just leave the belt off for now. 

• Like 2

My opinion, just leave the bad one on there until you're ready to do the job correctly.

The PAG oil used for a R134a system is 'hygroscopic', meaning it absorbs moisture. If you just pour oil in the compressor, without evacuating it and then install it, the inherent moisture that is in the system can turn to acid and cause more problems. The daughter's boyfriend should know this if he's a halfway decent technician.

Otherwise, like Rob said, bring it to a shop that knows what they're doing. If that new compressor grenades, it'll send metal throughout the entire system. Then you'll be flushing and replacing everything.

Don't even be tempted to try & charge the system with that crap you see on TV...'ACPro in a Can'. That stuff has sealant in there that'll cause more expensive problems as well. Use good virgin R134a, and give it a shot of A/C dye to help locate leaks down the road if you wish.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the info. I think I will leave the old one in there and wait for warmer weather so I don't disturb the lines and get moisture in the system. Thanks Wayne 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Whons said:

Thanks for all the info. I think I will leave the old one in there and wait for warmer weather so I don't disturb the lines and get moisture in the system. Thanks Wayne 

Good call.

I used to use this pic when people asked about doing A/C work themselves... That's what it costs when you bring it to a real shop after trying to use that crap.

Also, I'd tell them to google 'A/C compressor black death'. It explains what happens when the refrigerant absorbs moisture and forms acid, as I mentioned earlier. Example:

https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/are-your-customers-a-c-systems-facing-black-death/#:~:text=Black Death happens when moisture,system or damage the compressor.

https://www.underhoodservice.com/a-c-update-keeping-the-black-death-at-bay/

ac_recharge_price.jpg

• Like 1

I read the GM instructions for my ac compressor and they recommended changing the accumulator and the expansion valve. So I ordered everything including the proper pag oil. My Daughter's boyfriend who is a auto mechanic is going to help me in the spring to get everything done properly. 

• Like 2