Shift arm seals

John S

The seals on my M 20 4speed Muncie for the shift arms on the side cover are leaking. It looks pretty straightforward remove the side cover, pry them out and replace them. Is it fairly simple or am I missing something here?
John S

Shouldn't matter, pretty much the same deal. Like you figured, not too much a big deal. 

Plenty of info out there on those transmissions too, if you get stuck. Good time to look at the shift forks and syncro brass for wear as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

Shouldn't matter, pretty much the same deal. Like you figured, not too much a big deal. 

Plenty of info out there on those transmissions too, if you get stuck. Good time to look at the shift forks and syncro brass for wear as well.

Another question I’ll ask. The transmission is a 1968 Muncie M 20. Serial number P8C11. The car has the wiring for the TCS switch but being a 68 transmission the side cover does not have the switch on it. The car runs great, don’t really know what the difference is with that switch. Would it be worth it to get a side cover that has the switch on it switch it out and wire it in? 

What year is your car? I'll look it up to see if there are differences in the 3 years first, before taking a stab at an answer.

My first instinct is to not worry about it though....but I'd like to do a little research first.

5 minutes ago, jft69z said:

What year is your car? I'll look it up to see if there are differences in the 3 years first, before taking a stab at an answer.

My first instinct is to not worry about it though....but I'd like to do a little research first.

1 hour ago, John S said:

I'll do some searching & see what it says about a 70 TCS system.

Edit: From what I can see in the 1970 service manual, it affects the vacuum advance signal to the distributor in the lower forward gears, for emissions purposes (of course, lol). Meaning, it only allows advance in 3rd gear in the TH350/400 auto trans (and reverse), and looks like 3rd & 4th in a manual transmission.

If it runs fine now, me personally, I'd leave it as is and save yourself time, money and aggravation to go thru all that to get it working as designed, and then be disappointed when it runs worse. A lot probably depends on the distributor and carb calibrations (original?) and may be set to work good with the TCS in that regard. If it doesn't knock or ping in the lower gears now though without it, that's a good thing. Just my thoughts...

(there's a .pdf file to download of the pages if that works for you too)

Note: 1971 & 1972 systems were much more involved than a 1970, plus those two years were considerably different from each other as well (at least in the service manual descriptions and diagrams).

1970 TCS 1.1.jpg

1970 TCS 2.JPG

1970 TCS system.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

I'll do some searching & see what it says about a 70 TCS system.

Edit: From what I can see in the 1970 service manual, it affects the vacuum advance signal to the distributor in the lower forward gears, for emissions purposes (of course, lol). Meaning, it only allows advance in 3rd gear in the TH350/400 auto trans (and reverse), and looks like 3rd & 4th in a manual transmission.

If it runs fine now, me personally, I'd leave it as is and save yourself time, money and aggravation to go thru all that to get it working as designed, and then be disappointed when it runs worse. A lot probably depends on the distributor and carb calibrations (original?) and may be set to work good with the TCS in that regard. If it doesn't knock or ping in the lower gears now though without it, that's a good thing. Just my thoughts...

(there's a .pdf file to download of the pages if that works for you too)

Note: 1971 & 1972 systems were much more involved than a 1970, plus those two years were considerably different from each other as well (at least in the service manual descriptions and diagrams).

1970 TCS 1.1.jpg

1970 TCS 2.JPG

1970 TCS system.pdf 587.6 kB · 1 download

It’s not causing a problem I believe if it’s not broke, don’t fix it. I don’t want to start something then cause a problem that doesn’t exist. I have enough headaches I don’t need another one. Thank you very much for your help.