1972 monte for sale in florida

Just now, Dtret said:

You’re in space alright!!  Lol. 

Well, look at the company I keep....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

First, good luck with the sale. And you/broker are to be applauded for the many pictures posted. Also thanks for the clarification on my pic question.

Now my .02, primarily regarding mod's. And I'm saying this as a firm believer in its your car do what you want. IMHO the minute you change/upgrade a classic car you start chipping away at the market value.  I think the posting addressed a lot of what's been done, which is informative, but also gets a prospective buyer taking dollars off the price calculating what they will have to do if making an offer. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

Well, look at the company I keep....

Wow, should we start distancing ourselves from you if it is our fault

rob

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Wow, should we start distancing ourselves from you if it is our fault

rob

What's that famous quote...'if the shoe fits'?, or another appropriate one, something about hanging out with dogs that have fleas. '

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Based upon what I am seeing in the pictures I think that is a bit too much money.  BUT, that's just my opinion.

rob

I agree, Rob. Nice car but not original and needs work to bring it up to snuff. I'm always concerned when engine mods have been done unless they have been really well documented.

Remind me to never post detailed pics of my car here. Piling on and gang banging his car isn't polite of the club. The car looks nice to me and hopefully the new owner will treat her well or perhaps like most club members, use it for His/her own individual pleasures….

I thought we were an enthusiastic club.. Frankly, i'm disappointed.. Take it for what it's worth,, It doesn't encourage me or others who may not own your version of the " holly grail" of Monte Carlos.   The Monte Carlo circle is big and this car may one day be in this club. 

Rob,,,  

Right now, I'm not feeling the "Go car or show car, It doesn't matter to us " 

Sincerely

Ed C 

6 hours ago, EVC said:

Remind me to never post detailed pics of my car here. Piling on and gang banging his car isn't polite of the club.

If you read thru the progression of the thread, nobody even knew it was his car. It was posted in the 'for sale-Leads' section with no other description whatsoever. As mentioned earlier, this is a section that people post cars they find on FB, craiglist, Mecum, etc. This thread was no different than any other one posted in that section with members pointing out things they notice wrong with the car. Consider, other members here that may be interested in possibly purchasing that car, but maybe not as technically knowledgeable about what they're lookin at. In hindsight, it appears it may have been posted in the wrong section, but with no other info AT ALL mentioning it was this individuals car, how are we supposed to know?

We're lucky that there are a lot of very sharp people here that know what they're looking at, and will be more than forthcoming with info to help identify faults or potential issues they may see. 

Turns out this is the same car that has been running poorly, been to a couple of different shops and they had trouble fixing it. Makes one wonder what other issues may be lurking for a potential buyer. If by chance I'm that buyer, I would be happy that others have scrutinized it and gave honest opinions. If you want someone to blow smoke, frequent the Facebook groups, you'll see plenty of that there.

Even when it was finally revealed it was his car, there were still not a lot of detailed, forthcoming answers to questions. He opened the door when he asked about the observed issues (even then, it wasn't revealed it was his car yet). That, coupled with the fact it appears he has only had the car less than a year, raises more questions about the integrity of the vehicle.  

For that price, it should be a lot more sorted out than that, and any potential buyer that happens to look at this thread will be better informed. That's my opinion.

• Like 8
  • Thank You! 1

10 minutes ago, jft69z said:

If you read thru the progression of the thread, nobody even knew it was his car. It was posted in the 'for sale-Leads' section with no other description whatsoever. This thread was no different than any other one posted in that section with members pointing out things they notice wrong with the car. Consider other members here that may be interested in possibly purchasing that car, but maybe not as technically knowledgeable about what they're lookin at.

We're lucky that there are a lot of very sharp people here that know what they're looking at, and will be more than forthcoming with info to help identify faults or potential issues they may see. 

Turns out this is the same car that has been running poorly, been to a couple of different shops and they had trouble fixing it. Makes one wonder what other issues may be lurking for a potential buyer. If by chance I'm that buyer, I would be happy that others have scrutinized it and gave honest opinions. If you want someone to blow smoke, frequent the Facebook groups, you'll get plenty of that there.

Even when it was finally revealed it was his car, not a lot of detailed, forthcoming answers to questions. He opened the door when he asked about the observed issues. That, coupled with the fact it appears he has only had the car less than a year, raises more questions about the integrity of the vehicle.  

For that price, it should be a lot more sorted out than that, and any potential buyer that happens to look at this thread will be better informed. That's my opinion.

We criticized the low price of Jared's car at the auction , but we devalue the price others ask. ?  

Makes  no sense to me…

I wasn't aware we're the blue book of Monte Carlos values.  Personally,  it's none of my business what he asked…  I turned down a spot cash offer on mine for $30, 000.. In my opinion it wasn't worth that,  but what the hell will thirty grand buy ?  A used Buick or Escalade ?  Mine is worth millions to me because I'll die with it..

As for this Guy, I admit he should have been more straight forward and he also gave us one word answers that demanded more questions…  That seems to be the trend nowadays. You have to prime the conversational pump with some people and they have little to no social graces.

My answer would have been nice looking car and good luck on the price. I hope it sells soon…. Read the bottom line on the dealer comments…. Basically, It's Buyer beware…. 

Ed ,c

Edited by EVC
misposted.

I fully agree with Joe. I thought I was being nice leaving it at “ issues “   I refuse to knock anything anyone has, yes that pertains to everything, until they ask for opinions. And he did. And at the time he could have been looking to buy. 

• Like 6
  • Thank You! 3

49 minutes ago, EVC said:

As for this Guy, I admit he should have been more straight forward and he also gave us one word answers that demanded more questions…  That seems to be the trend nowadays. You have to prime the conversational pump with some people and they have little to no social graces.

My answer would have been nice looking car and good luck on the price. I hope it sells soon…. Read the bottom line on the dealer comments…. Basically, It's Buyer beware…. 

Ed ,c

Had it been clear from the beginning he was selling the car, the entire thread would have went in a different direction. 

Besides, the guy is listed as 'Retired', he should know how to carry on a conversation as opposed to today's youth that can't do anything without a cell phone. 

Would you pay $37K for that car, or do you think that's a reasonable price? Remember, the only real option on the car is A/C....no power windows, locks, gauge package, buckets, console, etc. I also think I see some type of issues near the vinyl top trim, back window area, and passenger side below the M/C emblem.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Had it been clear from the beginning he was selling the car, the entire thread would have went in a different direction. 

Besides, the guy is listed as 'Retired', he should know how to carry on a conversation as opposed to today's youth that can't do anything without a cell phone. 

Would you pay $37K for that car, or do you think that's a reasonable price? Remember, the only real option on the car is A/C....no power windows, locks, gauge package, buckets, console, etc. I also think I see some type of issues near the vinyl top trim, back window area, and passenger side below the M/C emblem.

No, but I hope he gets it. That'll help raise the base value of ours…. :)  

47 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I'm thinking based open all the problems found on the Monte Carlo that the Guy should donate the car to us and write a $20,000 check so we can make it road worthy and shiny…  :) 

1 minute ago, EVC said:

I'm thinking based open all the problems found on the Monte Carlo that the Guy should donate the car to us and write a $20,000 check so we can make it road worthy and shiny…  :) 

About as likely as me becoming that astronaut 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've never seen a ugly first generation Monte Carlo .. Seen a few ugly dudes driving them though…  :) 

Ed C…. Totally retired USAF SMS 

2 hours ago, EVC said:

Remind me to never post detailed pics of my car here. Piling on and gang banging his car isn't polite of the club. The car looks nice to me and hopefully the new owner will treat her well or perhaps like most club members, use it for His/her own individual pleasures….

I thought we were an enthusiastic club.. Frankly, i'm disappointed.. Take it for what it's worth,, It doesn't encourage me or others who may not own your version of the " holly grail" of Monte Carlos.   The Monte Carlo circle is big and this car may one day be in this club. 

Rob,,,  

Right now, I'm not feeling the "Go car or show car, It doesn't matter to us " 

Sincerely

Ed C 

Ed,

I suggest you go back and reread my post. Like Joe said, he posted it in the section here on the club website, not in the area  where a person here would e listing their own car for sale but where he may be thinking about buying it or someone else may be interested.  When he asked "for example" it seemed he wanted to know what we were seeing as why we felt it wasn't worth what the "seller" was asking.  

I responded:  "Bruce, the car is listed at almost $37K which is up there for what looks like an unrestored Monte.  Most of what I am seeing would be easily corrected by the seller to make the car a bit more attractive."

Ed, after I listed why I felt the car was not worth the almost 37K asking price I went on to tell him:  "Bruce, you asked for examples.  Not to pick the car apart too much but if you were thinking about buying it and that is why you asked "for example" I wanted to share why I felt it was priced way too high.".  

Does it not look like myself and others were simply pointing out to him the things we had noticed as issues as to why we felt the price was too high.  Ed, it seems you feel myself and people who thought were assisting a possible buyer were in the wrong but what are your thoughts on someone who intentionally misleads others on the sale of a car they in fact were selling? 

I am sorry you feel our efforts to assist someone on the boards came across as us dissing his car when in fact at the time we felt we were trying to assist him.  That said, I feel most of us feel our cars are worth more than they really are, you and me included.  Over the years we own our cars, we gain many memories and while these memories tend to grow our love for our car, these memories do not increase the actual cash value of our car, only the sentimental value.

rob

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Ed,

I suggest you go back and reread my post. Like Joe said, he posted it in the section here on the club website, not in the area  where a person here would e listing their own car for sale but where he may be thinking about buying it or someone else may be interested.  When he asked "for example" it seemed he wanted to know what we were seeing as why we felt it wasn't worth what the "seller" was asking.  

I responded:  "Bruce, the car is listed at almost $37K which is up there for what looks like an unrestored Monte.  Most of what I am seeing would be easily corrected by the seller to make the car a bit more attractive."

Ed, after I listed why I felt the car was not worth the almost 37K asking price I went on to tell him:  "Bruce, you asked for examples.  Not to pick the car apart too much but if you were thinking about buying it and that is why you asked "for example" I wanted to share why I felt it was priced way too high.".  

Does it not look like myself and others were simply pointing out to him the things we had noticed as issues as to why we felt the price was too high.  Ed, it seems you feel myself and people who thought were assisting a possible buyer were in the wrong but what are your thoughts on someone who intentionally misleads others on the sale of a car they in fact were selling? 

I am sorry you feel our efforts to assist someone on the boards came across as us dissing his car when in fact at the time we felt we were trying to assist him.  That said, I feel most of us feel our cars are worth more than they really are, you and me included.  Over the years we own our cars, we gain many memories and while these memories tend to grow our love for our car, these memories do not increase the actual cash value of our car, only the sentimental value.

rob

Rob… Thank you for clearing up the misunderstanding… If I were to sell my car today and a non member came to the club and asked if it were worth the $30,000 offered  I'd be annoyed at the club if they interfered with the sale.  The car is worth what it means to the buyer. My car may have been his grandfathers or his when new. I fully expect our cars to increase in value rather rapidly in the near future.. I paid about $3100  for my first one in 1970,,. drove it for 14 years and sold it for $1400… About 6 months later I paid $3000 for the one I have now. 

Unfortunately, There are a lot car flippers and dealers out there driving the price up for the cars we cherish… Been going on forever…. Not much we can do, the days of barn finds are gone and the little old widow knows the value.

Personally, It numbs me that a pickup will cost $70, 000 plus… So I'm not surprised at the $37,000 asking… I also think Jareds car was worth about $70, 000…. Worth it ?  Not for me, neither is the truck,,,,  but maybe the next guy who makes 10 times what I made when I paid $ 3000 for mine…

Ron, it's not my intent to upset or trivialize others, their wisdom or opinions  …  We have some really savvy Guys here and I love being a dues paying member ….. When it comes to the Monte Carlo, I'd much rather enjoy my car and never think of it as valuable and hope that the younger generations  like them as well…  I'll be 100 years old in 2041…. I'll donate the car to the club on my 100 birthday, provided I can drive it to the eastern meet… :) 

Sincerely … Ed 

One thing for certain,  If you ask this group about a Monte ...... We are going to be honest in our reply.  I don't think anyone here would intentionally try to hurt someone's feelings about their personal vehicle .  

I for one appreciate the honesty, if you don't want to know the truth, Don't ask for it !!

I have seen way too many times people misrepresent the vehicle they are attempting to sell .  A lot of times people are just flipping the vehicle and will say and do anything to make the sale . Not so long ago people actually put sawdust as well as loaf bread in a rear differential to quite it down long enough to make the sell.  

Should I ask about a vehicle that is for sale,  I for one would appreciate the honesty .  

I know people have different taste in their vehicles, however everything that was pointed out, is what I would want to know before I made such a purchase  .  A lot of people might not be able to afford to pay premium for a vehicle that  could stand to be refurbished.  Nice driver , I'm sure. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Michael Boyte said:

One thing for certain,  If you ask this group about a Monte ...... We are going to be honest in our reply.  I don't think anyone here would intentionally try to hurt someone's feelings about their personal vehicle .  

Late to the party but just my .02 If your going to ask this group a question about a Monte, your going to get straight answers. Nothing to do with the car that started this, but there's enough knowledge running around to point out things. For example you need nice door panels, yea there backordered and pricey. If I were looking for another Monte, I'd want the knowledgeable group to point out things that "concerned" them, what to get more details on, and so on. What I'm spending and what I can expect to spend. 

I'm not a stock/original guy so ya can't ding me on that 🤣 But I don't mind people that have the knowledge say what about this or that. Not a bad day when you can learn something new. This may all be moot since Dennis and some think I don't even own a Monte🤣

All in all, like I told my x-wife, don't ask me a question if you don't want to hear my answer. 

• Like 4

Based on the many expert opinions here,, I'd like to know what members think the car is worth as is….

I think this is a fair question since our club graciuosly listed the many shortcomings, upgrades and possible expenses to bring the car value up to the asking price of $37,000…  

I’m a wee bit late to this party…

Is it just me, or is anyone else missing that chick who was abandoned by her mom, raised by wolves after bouncing around assorted group homes where she was abused and introduced to drugs, only to finally open up her own repair shop where she and her girlfriend were in the process of working on their First Gen?

What was her name again?  She’d be a welcome distraction right about now. 

• Thank You! 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2023 at 8:50 PM, jft69z said:

The biggest hit against the car for me? The VIN has it born with a 350 2 bbl, but has a 454.

Not a deal breaker by any means, but something to consider at that price point. Not to mention it's a pretty basic optioned car. Basic....

(Rob got to the VIN issue as I was typing, lol). Rob also pointed out enough stuff that for that price, no way. That car will be for sale a long time, I think.

two months is not a long time, i think you were wrong, have a nice day!