Remote solenoid location - air con

2 hours ago, EVC said:

I plan on it, However, After having my Monte in places like Guam and Japan in the early to mid 70s,  I understand the difficulties of getting  a battery after it exploded in my face. I'm sure Paul would like to have your opinion over mine. I'm not an electrician and rely heavily on more knowledgable people like yourself…. Thank you Joe…. 

Ed 

I appreciate that Ed.  

I was stationed in Europe in the 80's, lot of guys had trouble getting parts for their American cars over there as well.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I appreciate that Ed.  

I was stationed in Europe in the 80's, lot of guys had trouble getting parts for their American cars over there as well.

Joe,  I wrapped up my military career Dec 1981 at Ramstein AFB Germany. While there I was honored to be one of the lead NCO's for logistical support … I was assigned to the  F111 , A10, and F15's thru out Europe.

My job required much travel in the area. I had to stand tall each week and brief the General, not only my aircraft but every Aircraft in Europe…. Getting parts for aircraft was difficult enough, but American cars could were next to impossible…  While in Japan I was assigned to a command post at Yokota AFB… My Job there was to make sure we had the aircraft support required to evacuate our people and friends at the closing of the Vietnam war.

PARTS  !!!  … Yes, and there was no room for error. Lives depended on it and failure wasn't our option… I also worked in the SR and U2 program.. Some of the parts like Diodes and resistors carried the same part numbers and looked the same,, but may not be within tolerance….. Mistakes in these areas could result in the death of a friend you had dinner with the night before. …. To this day when one of the jets from the local AFB flies over my home. I get chills up the spine knowing I was part of the reason….   I truly wish all of our youths could serve their country in the way you, Rob, others here, and I were honored to do … 

Thank you for your service ……….

Ed 

5 hours ago, EVC said:

Thank you for your service ……….

Ed 

I was a PMEL tech in the USAF, with my final assignment at Aviano AB, Italy. I did a number of TDY's to bases in Europe, including Ramstein, Bitburg, Torrejon-Spain, and couple other spots in Italy & Sardinia.

I'm sure you probably had to deal with PMEL a bunch, but if not, we were the guys that repaired, calibrated, and certified all the test equipment used to keep the planes in the air. A lot of hard core electronic repairs to the component level, and certifications to the National Bureau of Standards (now the NIST). I ended up running the K-6 lab at Aviano, which dealt with anything physical/dimensional (pressure, flow, temperature, vacuum, length, torque, etc). Also had to calibrate the TTU-205 Altimeter Test sets, the most temperamental piece of crap out there, lol. But, like you said, if our stuff wasn't right, lives were at stake. We had bins of those diodes, resistors and transistors in stock that you mentioned, separated by part number and tolerances, of course..

I agree, more of today's youth should join the military, maybe the world wouldn't be so screwed up right now. When in Italy, the Italian Air Base barracks were adjacent to ours, so we would talk to those guys thru the fence. Military service was mandatory for a year, for everyone. If you went to college, fine, but they still had to do their service. Don't know if it's like that now, but it was interesting.

'Jet noise...the sound of Freedom'  :2beers:

• Like 3
  • Thank You! 1

Very interesting careers you guys. Since Ukraine, Ireland are discussing our neutrality at the moment. Personally I think it makes sense to contribute to European defence if we depend on them when the bad guys come knocking. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

I'm sure you probably had to deal with PMEL a bunch,

Very familiar , I was AFTAC for 7 years….. Also, Combat Evaluation for a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

I was a PMEL tech in the USAF, with my final assignment at Aviano AB, Italy. I did a number of TDY's to bases in Europe, including Ramstein, Bitburg, Torrejon-Spain, and couple other spots in Italy & Sardinia.

I'm sure you probably had to deal with PMEL a bunch, but if not, we were the guys that repaired, calibrated, and certified all the test equipment used to keep the planes in the air. A lot of hard core electronic repairs to the component level, and certifications to the National Bureau of Standards (now the NIST). I ended up running the K-6 lab at Aviano, which dealt with anything physical/dimensional (pressure, flow, temperature, vacuum, length, torque, etc). Also had to calibrate the TTU-205 Altimeter Test sets, the most temperamental piece of crap out there, lol. But, like you said, if out stuff wasn't right, lives were at stake. We had bins of those diodes, resistors and transistors in stock that you mentioned, separated by part number and tolerances, of course..

I agree, more of today's youth should join the military, maybe the world wouldn't be so screwed up right now. When in Italy, the Italian Air Base barracks were adjacent to ours, so we would talk to those guys thru the fence. Military service was mandatory for a year, for everyone. If you went to college, fine, but they still had to do their service. Don't know if it's like that now, but it was interesting.

My Air Force service was from 1968 to 1972.  My home base after Tech School was Blytheville AFB in Blytheville, Arkansas.  The people in the town hated the Air Force servicemen there.... Guess they were afraid we wanted to steal their daughters from their little town.  Blytheville was a Strategic Air Command with KC135A refueling tankers and B52 Stratofortress bombers.

I was arrived there in March of 1969 and a one stripe Airman and left there when I got out as an E5 Staff Sgt.  I would not trade my military service for anything in the world.  I also feel that military service should be a requirement because it teaches responsibility, manners and maturity.  I was very lucky with all of the places I went on TDY (Temporary Duty Assignments).  I saw Spain, and  England on one of my assignments.  I also was in Japan, Philippians, Wake Island, Midway Island, Guam, Okinawa and Thailand and Hawaii.  

Usually you would qualify as a Crew Chief once you have made E4 Buck Sgt but I was able to test high enough to be named as a Crew Chief as an E3 Airman First Class.  I was the first E3 on our base to be named as an Airman First Class Crew Chief which I was very proud of. 

I loved my assignments in Thailand.  I was there multiple times.  Our missions out of Okinawa and Thailand were combat missions over Vietnam.  Each of these assignments were at least 3 months long.  Our combat missions were Air-Refueling Navy and Air Force fighter jets.  These fighter jets would take off from their base or ship so heavily armed with bombs, missiles and gun ammo that they only left their base or ship with enough fuel to make it up into the Vietnam air space because with the extra weight of fuel would have made it tough to take off.  As an Aircraft Crew Chief I would also fly on some of these missions.  

While performing these Air Refueling missions over Vietnam, along with earning regular pay I also earned added flight pay, I also received Hazardous Duty Pay and Combat Pay and that made my entire pay Tax Free.  I had just returned from one of these Southeast Asia assignments in late August of 1970 and I went on leave to my home in Jacksonville Florida and my father and I went, along with my windfall of tax free money, so I could buy a Chevelle.... With it being the end of the 1970 model year the Chevy dealers in Jacksonville had no Chevelle's left.  BUT one of them had 4 1970 Monte Carlo's left.  My dad said to me, you don't want that because you should never buy a first year production car.  The salesman said, let's go for a test drive.  My dad was always Chevrolet Caprice man and was the first one of us to test drive the Monte.  When we switched drivers I asked my dad, "what do you think" and he said "It rides as nice as my Caprice and if you don't buy it I will".  We signed the papers as soon as we returned from the test drive.

rob

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

16 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

WHAT 😳 hijack a thread that could never happen here 🤣

Aren't 'Moderators' supposed to keep that stuff under control? 😝

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My brother was an air force plane maintenance guy. Stationed at Lakenheath or something like that and one of the planes that he was the repair crew on is in Dayton OH at the  Museum. He also was based in the States at Myrtle Beach SC

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 4:28 PM, Crom Cruach said:

Rob, it’s a quality hijack, keep the stories coming I love it! 

Someday remind me to tell Joe about the night I spent near Polcenigo Italy…..This was before Joe's time.  But moving on …………and

Keeping this a legal thread for Rob, :)  I must remind him to call on your relay Monday morning….. 

38 minutes ago, EVC said:

Polcenigo Italy sleeping with Cleopatra in Napoleons bed. This was before Joe's time. 

Yep, right there where I was stationed basically.

Paul, I called "Painless" and they told me the solenoids in the the newer kits don't require the diode.  If your kit has it they recommend using it.

ed

2 hours ago, EVC said:

Paul, I called "Painless" and they told me the solenoids in the the newer kits don't require the diode.  If your kit has it they recommend using it.

ed

Thanks Ed you’re the man! Summit must be selling off the older version.  I’ll solder it in, and heat shrink the connection. 

• Like 1

Ok guys here’s an update…

I was stationed in Shannon in the 80’s when I … only kidding 😁

I placed the solenoid on the chassis. You would think there’s loads of space in a Monte but to hide it and be able to access wiring, not so much. Happy with this spot. 
058C606C-D292-45D6-90FA-8A2FAF614739.thumb.jpeg.c99d6baffc182771fa58fd243a530662.jpeg

Nice chunky 1 gauge cables going to battery, and battery terminal on starter. All the small cables have lots of space away from the exhaust and block to keep cool. I soldered what I could but most are crimped and she started first go yesterday. 
C59F69D4-D14B-48A4-AD94-B588F2F3D631.thumb.jpeg.02dd8f7db2534fec10e7ccb926d593f0.jpeg

18AB3536-3570-4F98-8FE8-D4789FFEDEFD.thumb.jpeg.8ce265f40524d66ace9fead876dd9e91.jpeg

The real test is a hot start, so I need to bring her for a spin when the weather stops being so Irish ☘️ 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Way to go!!!! You have done well grasshopper, we are proud of you. Love your pictures!!!

thanks sensei Rob! Two hot starts this morning, not a problem 😁 finally, time to drive

D4E1972C-D7EC-4A95-8340-A9D7F68839C6.thumb.jpeg.fe39f50a0caf90e34ca4091f85bbb2c9.jpeg

• Like 5

guys, back some 35 + years ago i put headers on my 72 monte 454 ,hooker headers ,for one summer,and i put a starter heat shield to keep the starter cool worked great but then went back to the original manifolds

• Like 2