AC evaporator coil replacement for 1970 model

The Archivist

I had my AC evaporator coil go bad(leaking out fluid) in the suitcase next to the engine which is tight space with our new ZZ502 motor installed.  Any tips on how to get into the suitcase to replace the coil? We got a new coil from the parts place. The AC was working fine before with a new compressor and hoses. 

Thanks for any tips!

1 hour ago, The Archivist said:

I had my AC evaporator coil go bad(leaking out fluid) in the suitcase next to the engine which is tight space with our new ZZ502 motor installed.  Any tips on how to get into the suitcase to replace the coil? We got a new coil from the parts place. The AC was working fine before with a new compressor and hoses. 

Thanks for any tips!

Removing the front tire and wheel well housing will make it easier to access,IMG_4532 (1).HEICIMG_4535 (1).HEIC

• Like 2

Same issue here with the ‘71.

I noticed what I thought was coolant on the frame under the box. So I initially thought I had a loose heater hose - or worse - a bad heater core.  Turns out it was refrigerant dye.

The guy who rebuilt the trans on my ‘70 has said he’ll do the job, only he likely won’t be able to start til April sometime as his it’s him and one employee. Worse part? They work at the speed of erosion.  Says he plans on pulling the hood and yanking the fender and wheel housing.  Oh well, as long as it’s ready to go for Carlisle. 

E2778039-51A0-4456-B2D4-233900C6EE56.png

7E12E117-DB07-41BD-8762-0EE46316AF22.png

• Like 1

Glen, I had the same exact thing. I noticed on the frame around the new upper bushing a milky colored substance pooling right after we stopped driving just like your pic. My friend who installed the new motor and rebuilt tranny was there with me and said AC evap had died. And its a pita job.  I also noticed it stopped cooling right before we saw the fluid on the frame. 

It sucks bc the AC was basically all redone, new compressor, hoses, R coolant etc. When we pulled the engine and repainted the bay I should have replaced this coil then but I assumed it had already been replaced (the exposed coil lines all looked new) as the AC was perfect before the engine swap. Makes me wonder if I should replace the heater coil while were at it???

I would. But get the brass one and not the aluminum. I’ve heard the brass are better, no personal experience though. The evaporator comes out under the hood the heater core from under the dash. Another big job.