Bowtie OD 2004r experience?

FrankOC

I just installed a bowtie stage 2 2004r and am now checking initial pressure readings.  In reverse, 1st, and 2nd the pressure gauge bounces/fluctuates by 50lbs.   In all other gears the pressure is steady.    Transmission has 11.5 quarts of fluid, including the torque converter, per their instructions.   The pressure fluctuates with and without the tv cable installed.   I’ll call them Monday but was wondering if anyone here has experience with these transmissions?    Thanks

The tv cable is of utmost importance. It must be set and used otherwise the transmission will cook itself from lack of proper pressures. 

The 700r4 and 200r4 rely on the tv cable unlike a th350 or the electric "kick down" on a th400. 

• Like 3

Hi Frank,

The t.v. cable is a finicky thing to set.... Usually requires a few road tests and a good transmission guy. :)

Try not to drive too much in O.D.without it set correctly or it'll eat up the O.D. 

I'm assuming this version has a decent shift kit included. There's a chart on T.C.I.'s website that will give you min/max working pressures for all the gears. Hope that helps.

As for the fluctuations, that's tied to rpm's. The lower gears will bounce because they're working harder (spinning faster) whereas in the upper gears the flow is more constant

Scott.

Did the transmission not come with instructions on how to set the TV cable initially? Mine had instructions for an initial setting to get me close enough to drive it to my local trans expert so he could set it correctly. 

It did, the initial tv install went fine.  It’s the fluctuating pressure reading in reverse, 1, and 2 that I’m wondering about.   The pressure fluctuates by 50lbs with and without the tv cable hooked up.  Taking the initial readings, with and without the tv cable connected,  are in their setup instructions.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FrankOC said:

Thanks Scott,    Not driving it until Bowtie support gives me the green light.  They are pretty particular about their setup procedures.  

That's a very smart idea !!  

Impatience can be very expensive !!

• Like 2