1972 MC 350/Auto - Suspension Upgrade

3 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

There is a formula for that depending on bolt diameter and thread pitch. My brother was telling me about it when I put the wheels on my car and I put longer wheel studs. Of course I don't know the formula,  the government has a formula for everything.

Free thread = 1/3 times bolt diameter.

• Like 2

@jft69z, there isnt enough threaded stud length, trust me.  If there was, we wouldn't be having this conversation! :)  I would have to think that maybe Bilstein sells a different rear shock part number for the first generation Monte Carlos, and that part has a similar bolt / stud as standard shocks for this model.  Again, I can buy a cheap pair of shocks for about $30 and get the parts I'm looking for.  I just figured I'd try solving it for $12 with the Dorman parts, with a 2-piece bushing, first

@cny first gen 71, yeah I did those laying on the floor.  It was actually quite easy - coming out and going back in.  Just read the tips in my previous post - cargo straps, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

I would have to think that maybe Bilstein sells a different rear shock part number for the first generation Monte Carlos, and that part has a similar bolt / stud as standard shocks for this model. 

That part number you have is for all the GM models of that type Chevelle, Cutlass, etc. Same rear diff style in all those cars.

They have an 'AK' series shock, uses the same hardware as the one you have though, looks to be for racing applications.

Their website and vehicle information selector is a bit lacking though, disappointing to be more accurate. 

I don't see why you only have an issue with interference. Is it possible? Sure. Maybe for whatever reason Bilstein didn't make the "spacer" wide enough. 

I have used the other style similar to your lower mounting bolts BUT the spacer and bolt itself were removable like pictured. 

Screenshot_20230403-195246.png

@MC1of80, those pictures also highlight the problem with the Bilsteins.  They don't provide enough of a spacer to prevent the tube from contacting the mounting bracket, and then the stud isn't long enough to (a) go through the mounting bracket and (b) accommodate a nut and a washer.  Again, this would all be solved if I could have pressed the Bilstein-provided bushing onto the stud / bolt I removed from my old shocks using my bench vise.  I proper press or bench arbor might have allowed me to be successful.

Hopefully this will all be solved with the Dorman bolt / stud / bushing assemblies

@jft69z, yeah I havent researched the alternative Bilstein part numbers yet.  Nor have I actually tried to call them, which is probably the needed approach.  I'm focused on solving the problem by other means, hah!

FINALLY got the Bilstein shocks installed. Yay!!! Unbelievable how many hours I have in to what should be a simple job 

Bottom line - if you buy Bilstein shocks for the rear of your Monte Carlo, be sure you buy the Dorman (or similar) bushing / stud / bolt assemblies. You will have to cut out the bolt / stud that comes with the Bilstein shocks, remove it and the bushing, then install the Dorman assembly, all prior to installing the shocks in your car.

Attached is a picture of the final result, as well as 2 pictures showing why the bolt / stud that comes with the Bilstein shocks doesn't work. If you don't see it, just move on - definitely not worth taking up more room on this server with more discussion 

IMG_20230408_093955485.jpg

IMG_20230408_094007944.jpg

IMG_20230408_094113775.jpg

IMG_20230408_094122513.jpg

• Like 2

Yay! You got it. Sweet! Isn't the blue plastic sleeve covering the body of the shock supposed to be removed? Never had or will have Bilstein shocks. Just asking. 

@jft69zand @Blackhawk, I finally finished the rear shocks and was able to turn my attention back to the wheel code / size. I found the FW marking stamp just to the right of the valve stem. For my 72, this means that they are indeed 15x7 Monte Carlo Rally wheels!! Yay.

IMG_20230408_151003277.jpg

Screenshot_20230408-150935-861.png

I got the front Bilsteins in without too much of an issue. I had to run down to the auto parts store to grab some new, short 5/16-18 clip nuts for the lower shock bolts. Plan on replacing those while you're at it. Sort of a shame Bilstein doesn't include those to be honest.

The old KYB shocks I replaced seem to have some good damping action. But they look like heck! Still glad I replaced them, along with the rears. Only time will tell if the Bilsteins are worth the 3x price tag.

Other then some new BF Goodrich Radial TAs per the earlier posts on this thread, that's all for the suspension for now 

On to the continuing saga of the starter replacement (other thread)!!!

IMG_20230408_164852147_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230408_164911600_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Update: my MC now handles REALLY well!!! Man, what a difference the boxed rear lower control arms, sway bar and Bilstein shocks make!!! Wow ... just ...wow!!!

I went for a 20 minute drive through some of the Connecticut country back roads in my area. The 'curvy road ahead' signs quickly became my favorite sign :). The body roll seems near zero comparatively. And the ride is still very comfortable. 

I've still got some wiring issues associated with the alternator to figure out before I can daily my MC again. But I will get those sorted out quickly I'm sure.

• Like 4

On 4/14/2023 at 7:52 PM, SPLATT71MC said:

Wait until you do a spring upgrade, quick ratio steering box and improve the caster and camber.

Yeah, I'm definitely tiptoeing down that path. I saw some info on a late model Jeep steering box. I will post source and part number once I figure that out.

Now that I've got a few miles with the new shocks in I've noticed that the rear is a little saggy - had air shocks previously. As I stated earlier in this thread, the front springs look to have been replaced at some point but the rear springs are original. I'm probably going down the path of replacing the rear springs shortly, which nega the question of other 'might as well' upgrades. Never stops!!

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Rear springs are pretty simple I put the cc501 cargo coils on mine and added spring spacers to get a little more lift as that's what I wanted. Order the upper insulators when you do the originals are probably not so good.

You know, spring spacers might be all I need for the near term. Again, I plan on a full suspension upgrade / rebuild at some point. I will grab some spacers and see if that gets me what I want for now - a combination of ride quality and ride height. Cheating the ride height with spacers may degrade the ride quality a bit. But it might not either 

IMG_20230416_190414484_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

@SPLATT71MCand @cny first gen 71 ... ok, you guys just spent more of my money!  I ordered the following from Summit

MOG-5379 - Moog Chassis Parts 5379 - Moog Replacement Coil Springs

and

MOG-K6203-2 Moog Chassis Parts K6203-2 - Moog Coil Spring Insulators

I'm still going for good, cheap replacement parts until I go full send on the whole suspension.  Hopefully I can get these in without any issues.  Something to look forward to this weekend!!!

Thanks for all the help from this forum

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dtret said:

Tell Brendan that 

Haha, yeah. As much as I bitched about it at the time, I'm through it and am ok now. The bottom bushings will be MUCH easier to get out and back in this time around :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/17/2023 at 6:48 AM, B-Man said:

Yeah, I'm definitely tiptoeing down that path. I saw some info on a late model Jeep steering box. I will post source and part number once I figure that out.

Now that I've got a few miles with the new shocks in I've noticed that the rear is a little saggy - had air shocks previously. As I stated earlier in this thread, the front springs look to have been replaced at some point but the rear springs are original. I'm probably going down the path of replacing the rear springs shortly, which nega the question of other 'might as well' upgrades. Never stops!!

I went with a Red Head Steering quick ratio box on mine. It bolted right in.

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/shop?year=1972&make=Chevrolet&model=Monte Carlo&options=24&options=28

On 4/22/2023 at 10:44 PM, SPLATT71MC said:

I went with a Red Head Steering quick ratio box on mine. It bolted right in.

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/shop?year=1972&make=Chevrolet&model=Monte Carlo&options=24&options=28

@SPLATT71MC QUIT SPENDING MY MONEY!!!!!! Haha

Man, this looks awesome. Thank you for posting the link

QUESTION: What steering ratio (number) did you buy?

It says that 3 turns is stock  and that they offer a 2.5

It also says they offer more ports for an after market steering ram of some sort. Did you do that?