Not Monte related, AARP?

cny first gen 71

I know a lot of us are up there in years but of course still young at heart but I have a question for everyone.  Are any of our members in AARP? I keep getting stuff in the mail and seeing stuff on tv it it worth joining or is it a waste of money? I really need some opinions on this to see if it's worth joining or just a waste of money.  Thank you all, Steve

Used to get a lot of fancy adds and brochures… They gave up about ten years ago … No opinion of their services Steve. 

Ed C.

We are members.  We have consumer cellular phones and get a discount on our plan.  We also get discounts on hotels and other things.  The do a lot of lobbying on things that benefit us seniors such as drug prices and many other things.  Like our club, membership has its perks.  You would need to decide for yourself if it is worth it.

rob

• Like 1

USAA for veterans is a great company that's very beneficial as well…. Insurance, Travel . Hotel rates etc …  The best card I carry is my Ret military,,, Works like magic when you least expect it…..  

As far as cell phones go, we pay 80 per month for two phones,  unlimited data. Not every phone service works in our area,  so we're limited to ATT mostly. 

7 hours ago, jft69z said:

If you happen to be a gun owner, their views may not align with yours.

Yea some of their other political views don't align with me either 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, EVC said:

USAA for veterans is a great company that's very beneficial as well…. Insurance, Travel . Hotel rates etc …  The best card I carry is my Ret military,,, Works like magic when you least expect it…..  

As far as cell phones go, we pay 80 per month for two phones,  unlimited data. Not every phone service works in our area,  so we're limited to ATT mostly. 

I got a quote from them years ago, they were higher than Allstate, and I don't know the particulars but they won't insure a Hellcat 🙃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

I got a quote from them years ago, they were higher than Allstate,

They were more expensive than State Farm too, but I haven't checked in years.

• Like 1

About 30 Years ago my State Farm agent pulled up behind me as I was ready to leave the gas station and complimented my Monte .. He said it sounded like it was fast… A week later my policy was cancelled….  I guess he didn't like the deep tone of my mufflers… I cancelled my business and home owners insurance with them and went with another company … My Daughter has them and it seems they like to track your car claiming it will save you money… Not sure what that's all about … 

I got those notices nonstop for AARP a few years ago so I finally looked into them but for me there was zero benefits. My brother-in-law said the same thing. It was not what I was expecting, so now that mail goes right into the trash.

This is before I knew their stance on guns. Now I would never consider it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, EVC said:

About 30 Years ago my State Farm agent pulled up behind me as I was ready to leave the gas station and complimented my Monte .. He said it sounded like it was fast… A week later my policy was cancelled….  I guess he didn't like the deep tone of my mufflers… I cancelled my business and home owners insurance with them and went with another company … My Daughter has them and it seems they like to track your car claiming it will save you money… Not sure what that's all about … 

State farm has always insured my high performance cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. over the years with no issues. Maybe you just had a jerk for an agent back then.

As far as the car tracking thing, some of the insurance companies have something you can install to monitor your 'safe' driving habits (braking, acceleration, etc). to lower your rates.

If I did that, they'd cancel me too...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, jft69z said:

State farm has always insured my high performance cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. over the years with no issues. Maybe you just has a jerk for an agent back then.

As far as the car tracking thing, some of the insurance companies have something you can install to monitor your 'safe' driving habits (braking, acceleration, etc). to lower your rates.

I think it was an agent thing with my State Farm issue… He drives a Prius if that gives you a clue. ...

8 minutes ago, jft69z said:

State farm has always insured my high performance cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. over the years with no issues. Maybe you just has a jerk for an agent back then.

I just added a new vehicle on my policy, the agent said I could save with the "monitoring situation", I told her Highway Patrol and the Sheriffs Office take care of that for me. She didn't seem amused 🤣

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, EVC said:

I think it was an agent thing with my State Farm issue… He drives a Prius if that gives you a clue. ...

Yep, explains everything. 

Should have told him your car is a hybrid too....it burns rubber and gasoline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Michael Boyte said:

I would never allow anyone who's services that I am paying for to track my driving habits !!!! 😂

I hear TIK TOC is going to sell insurance… 

41 minutes ago, FrankOC said:

I'm a member, they are powerful advocates for seniors and their publications allow me to stay updated on news, legislature, and actives that may impact us.  

It's good that we have groups to advocate for our beliefs.  

More to the point that may benefit some members,,,

Do they offer health insurance to supplement Medicare,,, If so, is it expensive ?  I've often wondered how they may compare with other supplemental insurance companies like Humana and others that advertise heavily….    Are you a member of the NRA as well ?  

1 hour ago, EVC said:

It's good that we have groups to advocate for our beliefs.  

More to the point that may benefit some members,,,

Do they offer health insurance to supplement Medicare,,, If so, is it expensive ?  I've often wondered how they may compare with other supplemental insurance companies like Humana and others that advertise heavily….    Are you a member of the NRA as well ?  

I'm a few years aware from medicare so I haven't researched supplemental plans.

I used to belong the the AARP but politically they are very wrong for my family. Their mail goes directly to file Z when it arrives. There is a conservative group similar to them that I do belong to and I am getting more useful benefits for us

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Leghome said:

I used to belong the the AARP but politically they are very wrong for my family. Their mail goes directly to file Z when it arrives. There is a conservative group similar to them that I do belong to and I am getting more useful benefits for us

Was it AMAC? Another member mentioned that to me.