Transmission Temp Gauge

FrankOC

I recently installed a 2004r and I've been thinking of adding a transmission temp gauge.  I'm wondering if I can share the stock engine temp gauge via a toggle switch.   Has anyone done this? Is it possible?

I have a Trans temp Guage in my truck I hardly ever look at it. The only time it was a concern was in Colorado towing my trailer in the mountains. I think for normal every day driving you don't really need it. As far as using the same Guage I have no idea if that would work.

• Like 2

Frank,

It's probably possible, but you'd have to use an AC Delco, or other factory compatible senders that are not contact switches, (warning lights). 

I believe the term is rheostatic.... (pardon my misspelling)

And also a 3 point toggle switch. But wiring can be a tricky task.

On Montelishi, I installed an aftermarket water temp. gauge on the engine, and moved the factory sender to a tapped outlet on the side of the 200r4's pan. 

It works O.K., and oddly, the factory gauge reads up to 325 degrees F. So the trans temp. won't spike it.

But if your's doesn't read that high, the transmission signal may damage the gauge...... 

Hope that helps, Scott.

In theory you should be able to do it, I could be wrong 🤣 I'd rather go with your temp glove box install idea. With a toggle you have 1 point of failure for 2 gauges and Scott brought up a good point also. I saw Jegs has them rather cheap cost wise but looking it only reads 280 don't know what normal temp is. I use Jegs gauges, no issues, have heard their customer service isn't what it used to be. 

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/41407/10002/-1

• Like 1

Frank ,

In my years of heavy towing, I found that tranny temps are usually a few degrees plus or minus of the water temp except when pulling long grades.  Temp sensors mounted in the tranny pan were cooler than those mounted on the output from the torque convertors to the cooler. Temps coming off the torque convertors are what I used… They'll  scare the hell of you…. 

More important to me were the exhaust temps and that was relative to each engine.. I found the happy spot and drove to keep that number…. My old 472 Cadillacs and 389 Pontiacs ran with higher exhaust temps than a 350 Chevy. I'm sure a 454 runs hotter exhaust temps as well…. You can run a Cummins all day on exhaust temps of 11 to 12 hundred but my Ford ran with lower temps. Same with the turbo boost… much higher on the Cummins than the Ford… 

When on the road, something I always noticed were those determined to pass like it was a road race to the top. I'd always drop a gear and back off on the uphill and lock up on the down grade….. 

Towing with the MonteCarlo for me has never been a problem.. A real water temp gauge has always served me well … In fact, I have one on the intake manifold as well … It typically shows a  10 to 20 higher temp than the one in the stock position …  

481337_787446591301257_7691137013377562366_n.jpg

Frank, 

Here is a pic of my back up temp gauge hook up… I used a thermostat housing that has the bung… Normally the Edlebrocks intake is too close to the hose and rubs ….

The tip of the sensor clears the thermostat,  but you have to turn it to insure clearance. Before hooking up the big hose you can clearly see and check the clearance….I'm using a mechanical mini gauge here and a standard mechanical gauge in the passenger side position… Like I said, this gage under normal operation is about 10 to 20 degrees higher than the stock side…. I'm using a 180 thermostat and on a really hot day, my Monte will reach 200 to 210 degrees , but seldom ever gets over 195…  Wiith good oil 10/40 w/zinc she'll cruise all day at 75 to 80 with the RPM @ 2400 or below.  … The 700r4 gives me the mileage I want. I'm sure your 200r4 will do the same…  

As an added bonus , The two gages by activating at different times let's me know that the thermostat is working…. 

Ed

IMG_0246.jpeg

15 hours ago, EVC said:

481337_787446591301257_7691137013377562366_n.jpg

Very nice setup, That big Ram with a  Cummins is a Beast !!  And the Jake brake certainly does make downhill grades a cake walk. 

We absolutely love ours , Never been disappointed !!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Michael Boyte said:

Very nice setup, That big Ram with a  Cummins is a Beast !!  And the Jake brake certainly does make downhill grades a cake walk. 

We absolutely love ours , Never been disappointed !!

When far from home, I know she'll bring me home…. Never failed….