Tranny puked on my 72

Leghome

My 700r4 took a dump this past week. Summit Racing $2,599 for a rebuilt one, no core charge, one year warranty if you put in a new torque converter.  They have another tranny  for $2,199 with a $350 core charge but with return shipping I am leaning toward the more expensive because they have it in stock and they do not know on the wait time for the other one and it only has a 90 day warranty.

• Sad 2

Just heard from a local transmission guy who is very good, that is all he does rebuild trannys for a living. He is coming over to pick up the car the first of next week and he said it should be in the neighbor of $850 which I was overjoyed to hear

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Michael Boyte said:

Now, that's much more affordable !!

I most likely would celebrate that price tonight with a nice dinner for the wife and I  !!

I'd never release the discount price 🤣 Of course maybe that's why I'm a bachelor 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hooligan71 said:

That's a great price...cost me $1400 to rebuild my TH350.  Many time it's not what you know but who you know.

Yea cost me the same on my 400, from a friend and I had to deliver the tranny to him 😮

I had mine rebuilt cost me $2100 when building the car. I had to bring it to him and pick it up myself. 

The cost of living in the concrete jungle state!  

Good for you Larry!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DragCat said:

I'd never release the discount price 🤣 Of course maybe that's why I'm a bachelor 🤣

Yeah, THAT'S why

🤣

• Haha 1

The tranny has been disassembled and reassembly started.  A gear had failed in the roller pins had chewed up some gears thus the grinding coming from below. Frank also found another part broken that would have caused a catastrophic failure in the very near future. The gear and broken part are not related to each other. The tranny supposedly had been rebuilt by a shop in northern Indiana before it was installed in the car by the previous owner. Frank said they did a pi$$  poor job on the previous rebuild as he found several thing not quite right. We also found that the Fly wheel/Flex Plate had a few teeth that had been gnawed on so he has a new one ordered and he is going to thoroughly inspect the meshing of the starter gear and the teeth on flex plate. It will now be better than it has ever been under my ownership.

• Like 5

The 72 will be coming home today Thursday April 6th. 1117.39 later and it is better than new. Frank said he adjusted everything and it shifts just like it was designed to and is very smooth shifting until your hammer it and then the tires squawk when  it hits 2nd gear 

• Like 6