Synthetic or Conventional Oil

201fireman

Getting ready to change the oil for the summer and I was curious what your thoughts are on synthetic or conventional oil? I have a 489 full roller BBC.  I have a Straub cam and I did contact them. They said they use Maxima and Driven oil on their engines but when I asked them if they use synthetic or not they said it's all in the additive packages and that most of your high performance oils will be good. Any feedback or opinions?

You are going to get a lot of opinions on this. To each their own preference. It really comes down to what you are comfortable with. I personally use rotella oil in my 496 and 402. I never had any luck with synthetic oil. But then again, that was many years ago. I like an oil with a higher zinc content with the old style engines. 

• Like 2

I use Lucas in my older cars, but Valvoline with zinc or Driven are great oils as well…  I'd use Zinc oil in my Yukon it it didn't have a catalytic convertor… 

Not a fan of Synthetic…. Personal preference, but I wouldn't use a zinc additive to a regular oil…

image.thumb.png.1c8069bb799b5683b2b450eff43ff3e5.png

Pretty much the same sentiments here. My newer performance cars called for Mobil1 synthetic, that's what I still use in them. Same with my 2009 GMC 2500 truck, I crossed that over to Mobil1.

My older cars right now get a semi-synthetic oil, because one is a solid lifter cammed LS-6 454, and the other is a solid roller cammed 454. Those ones for sure need the higher zinc & phosphorus additive levels (at least that's what helps me sleep better at night). The stuff I've been using is the PennGrade (Brad Penn) oil made for solid lifter applications. It's the old Kendall GT Racing oil from years ago (still has the green color). Never had a failure with that oil...so far.

• Like 5

On 4/10/2023 at 10:12 PM, cny first gen 71 said:

I use synthetic in my truck because that's what mfg. Says to use, use the lucas hot rod oil in my Monte so I guess you get both answers from me.

Same here Steve.

• Like 3

When I picked up my ‘70, I was encouraged to continue using what the previous owners mechanic suggested after he replaced the cam, lifters and rockers:  Kendall high zinc. 

When I bought the ‘71 from Mr. Lyman, I followed his lead with Mobil 1 synthetic and the Eastwood ZDDP oil additive. 

And I’ve always followed the manufacture’s “mandate” of Mobil 1 synthetic for the ZR-1. 

Moving forward, I’ve decided to throw caution to the wind and instead dump imported olive oil into all three crankcases.  It was on sale at Sam’s Club, so I figured I’d give it a whirl. 

I’ll report back with my findings. 

• Kook 3

When I had my engine rebuilt at Quinlin Automotive on the south side of INDY a few years ago he recommended 10W30 or 10W40 valvolene in the blue jugs. I don’t remember what variety but the one suggested for diesels 

• Like 3