1970 ss inspection done, inputs welcome

Hello everyone. I looked at the 1970 ss. Not as good as i hoped. Vin not readable at the oil filter boss. No paper work. I felt this is a deal breaker without paper work. I can see the CRN code on front and acouple numbers. I would think a CRN coded block can be bought on ebay.  Damage on the drivers side lower rocker. I didn't get a picture. I'm guessing is someone ran over something and crushed in the rocker. Maybe ran over a curb or something bad happened. Bono a foot or 2 long and spots popping  in bottom of rocker . there is a split 4 inches into the seam.  Quarter on pass side has a air gap where the rear light housing meets up. Guy said he disconnected the air pump and replaced rear shocks. He has air shocks in box along with leveler. He bought last September and said he was selling because it wasn't as comfortable as he 70 chevelle he had sold. Trans label doesn't have the codes. I don't see him getting more then 30k. There is a door chip in drivers door an one on top pass. fender. I removed the vents as door jams and looked inside and all looked good. Tell me what you think. I am hard pressed to spend the money. 

monte454 cowl tag.jpeg

monte454 door jam.jpg

monte454 rear shock.jpg

monte454 rear.jpg

monte454block vin.jpg

monte454frontvin.jpg

monte454pass door jam.jpg

monte454rear quarter trunk.jpg

Ya the vin doesn’t match. A little bondo probably normal in a 50 year old car but I’m no body guy and the rocker is a mess. The way the rocker is crushed I’d possibly look for some frame damage. 

6 hours ago, Dtret said:

Ya the vin doesn’t match. A little bondo probably normal in a 50 year old car but I’m no body guy and the rocker is a mess. The way the rocker is crushed I’d possibly look for some frame damage. 

Agreed! Possible frame damage is what I was thinking as well. Not saying anything is hidden, however it is always best to look at all factors!

Thanks for the input, the frame looked clean and it appeared to be the rocker got the damage. car looked frame off restored. frame was clean and floor pans were excellent. I just feel if a car only has 2000 since restored, the doors should shut correctly. gaps on doors not perfect. I could ask him to drop the price to get those things fixed. On the vin I can barely see  1667 but cant make out the last two 3 an 0.  Other thing is if monte ss are the only cars that ha the vin near the oil filter, then a good chance of it being the correct block? trans tag not original?

monte454 trans tag.jpg

If you gut is telling you something different than head, walk away. Unless you can buy it for the “right” price and repair or replace everything that needs correcting you may be opening Pandora’s Box and draining your bank account. Paint and body work are quite expensive and sourcing parts and shipping is costly and not as easy as pre Covid. 

Hey Keith, regarding paperwork that you seek… there won’t be a Build Sheet as it’s a Flint-built car.  It just sucks that the seller doesn’t have anything else to substantiate it’s authenticity.  My gut says run away from this one. 

I would like to give my thoughts on this car. Did you look on the pad under the alternator for the numbers also,on the driver's side just above the trans pan the vin should be stamped on the transmission. I have seen several end caps on original cars that have that angle to them. As far as the rocker panel goes without seeing it I can only say that I would rather fix a rocker panel that is supposed to be black then try to match the cars paint.  As far as the cars price only you can be the judge of that ....but for a highly option SS  car that seems to have most of if not all the original body panels that is rare up here in the northeast and looks to have had a frame off restoration at some point I don't think it's a bad price.just my 2 cents. At the end of the day you have to be the one that is happy. I'm just glad I have no room for it !!!

• Like 2

The pad under alternator has  letters TO41 then looks like a faint 6 and then crn . Looks like vin is double stamped in the rear boss area. Is that normal? that area seems rougher then others ive seen. Its a very nice car. I know of a body shop that can fix the  rocker.   i dont plan on selling it and just driving it to shows and cruise. How much would it cost to build one and all the options, cold ac and clock is on time. One with the paperwork will cost more  in the 40 to 50 plus  10 percent cost if at a auction. Plus shipping. I will keep shopping and offer him a fair price. I can still buy another ss car and get rid of 2 base cars . I am running out of parking. I'm old enough now to buy something pretty turn key. I'll have my brother drive behind and see that it drives straight and not crab w

monte454enginecode.jpg

From the trim tag if I see it correct car was built 06B =June second week. The engine code is 041=April 1st day . lol =April fool's day. So that is two months prior to the car so that's good  I have seen double stamped blocks before. I honestly think if you found a nice car and had to restore it it would be a lot more than the asking price but again in the end you have to be happy with your purchase.

• Like 2

I read the partial VIN stamp on the block as 10F1667xx. Even with being unable to read the last 2, I believe it's very safe to say that that is the original 454 for that car. The VIN stamp narrows it down to 100 cars. The chance of a previous owner somehow finding and installing a 454 with a partial VIN stamp showing the block was originally from another SS that came from the same assembly plant, and was assembled the same day as this car, would be astronomical. 

The correct engine assembly date is another good thing. It's either April 1 or April 16. 

The rough surface and poor stamping by the oil filter is not at all uncommon. 

Dan 

• Like 4

Thanks for the information. I believe it to be numbers matching. because of the all but 2 numbers not visable..and 6 week period between body motor is in the time frame. I made a offer and he is not moving the price much. I have yet to see a white top green car yet. I figure i will try to get alittle better price to correct the rocker and just enjoy to the ride. I will text him tomorrow and hammer something out. The color is much better in person and a sunny day. Lets just say beautiful. I.m not even a green color car guy. But i will be now 

• Like 7