new computer

savvarock

I'm looking to buy a new computer. I was wondering what's the best I can get without spending too much. To be honest, I don't even know how much a new set up costs. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. All I do is online banking and search the web. Thanks.

savvarock thats a load question. everyone will have their favorit computer. here around the house we have nothing but hp desktops. the last hp desktop we got came stright from hp.com just the tower keyboard and mouse for $700. most of the new computers will come with window vista. check around either online or at store for good deals, i know walmart.com does some kit deals but the prices in the store are cheaper. ive found building a computer to be a better choice as you can pick a low end desktop build it the way you want for a high end model. if you like i can pick out the items you want from hp.com and get a price for one for you.

We bought my wife a new Dell laptop at Best Buy, it was cheaper than buying it with my corporate discount straight from Dell. At work we us nothing but Dell and have great luck with them. My last new PC at home was bought almost 3 years ago and is a HP / Compaq. Building them these days is not as cost effective as it used to be unless you are a hard core gamer... You can get a lot for the money buying a prebuilt system with a warranty...

Ian

hey now my toshiba laptop has been good for the 3 years ive had it. maybe its just a matter of which toshiba it is allan. with compaq now being part of hp, hp uses it for base models also cheap with hp still being the top dog in that company. if you have a family member thats a student apple does give them discounts for desktops and laptops.

We use Dell exclusively at Boeing. We get a pretty nice discount

for employee purchases as well. If you want, when you decide on

what you want p.m. me and I will get a quote from our ordering

system for you. I can tell you I saved roughly 40% over Costco's

price.

Ours have always been Dell's & have had good luck also. Though customer service is extremely time consuming should you need it.

Greg also gets a discount thru work which is why we chose Dell a 2nd time. I see them commericals for a MAC and wonder if they are better...never looked into it - afraid of change I guess.

All the sites - HP, DELL...have the ability for you to create your computer on line & see the end price & then you can keep shopping from there.

Thanks for all the input guys. Seems like Dell is a favorite for a lot of people. I never thought of looking into an employee discount. We have a lot of perks at work and I never take advantage of it. I'll check tomorrow. All I wanted to see was what models and options you guys have. Like I said, I don't do much with a computer other than surf and do my banking. I would hope that they come with a cd burner and allow you to play dvd's but I would think that's standard.

I maybe in the need of a new laptop, my 5 year old gateway crashed yesterday cry the boys have Dell's, we have had lots of issues with them, my son Eric is pushing me towards a Mac, any thoughts on them???

Sam the Mac's are Sweet. My dad went all Mac at the house this last year. I just can't justify the cost difference... If all you are doing is surfing, reading email, and some photos, you can not go wrong with just about any cheaper system...

Ian

IMHO.. Dell is the best way to go...

i have an older Dell Dimension 9100 desktop and I love it..

mom has a Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop and it's fantastic too.