Fender Trim

NavyCPO

I am looking to replace fender trim on both front fenders as they have some minor dings.  I can only find replacements for Full Sets which include both front and rear for around $200.  I am only needing the front pieces and hate to pay $200 for 1/2 of the parts I don't really need.  Does anyone have a good source for buying single fender trim per piece or by pairs of front or rear?  Also is the stock trim made of aluminum or stainless steel?  I have not removed them yet so I'm not sure.  Thanks in advance for any assistance!

It's aluminum anodized. Keep an eye on ebay someone may be selling the pieces separately. I have one or two but not in good shape at all. I did buy a couple off ebay several years ago and ended up getting the complete set had them for quite a while before someone needed them and I sold them.

• Like 2

You could look in our Resources area for parts sources.  A couple of our members may have them.  Maybe not NOS but maybe good used.  Check with Leo Konik at Konik's Klassics or check with Jared Richey.  Both of these people are dues paying members.  I would talk live with them so you can describe what you have already so they can compare to what they have.

rob

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Buy the set of 4 and sell the ones you don't want on Ebay. My 70 Monte came with rear fender skirts, which I didn't want so I sold them on Ebay. You will always find someone who wants them.

• Like 1

Parts Place is in Des Plains IL and has a plethora of parts for our cars. Usually in stock and cheaper than OPGI with cheaper shipping. Their phone contact information is in our vendors list

• Like 3

Sadly, The Parts Place was bought out by OPGI and most of their trim is now sold in sets. There's still the odd item you can get individually, but I'm sure that'll change too.... :(

On 4/20/2023 at 4:13 PM, NavyCPO said:

I am looking to replace fender trim on both front fenders as they have some minor dings.  I can only find replacements for Full Sets which include both front and rear for around $200.  I am only needing the front pieces and hate to pay $200 for 1/2 of the parts I don't really need.  Does anyone have a good source for buying single fender trim per piece or by pairs of front or rear?  Also is the stock trim made of aluminum or stainless steel?  I have not removed them yet so I'm not sure.  Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Here is a single NOS piece on Facebook Market Place, if that helps at all.

NOS Front Fender Side Marker Molding

Doug

• Thank You! 1

On 5/22/2023 at 11:07 AM, 72-CLASSIC_RIDE said:

Here is a single NOS piece on Facebook Market Place, if that helps at all.

NOS Front Fender Side Marker Molding

Doug

Thanks for the link, but it only took me to the FB Marketplace homepage.  And it looks like the piece was for side marker molding.  I'm looking for R & L Fender or Wheelhouse Molding.

44 minutes ago, NavyCPO said:

Thanks for the link, but it only took me to the FB Marketplace homepage.  And it looks like the piece was for side marker molding.  I'm looking for R & L Fender or Wheelhouse Molding.

Sorry, misread your Post.  Your looking for behind front wheel well lower trim then?  If so, I saw couple on eBAY I think that were NOS and expensive as I remember.

Doug

9 minutes ago, 72-CLASSIC_RIDE said:

Sorry, misread your Post.  Your looking for behind front wheel well lower trim then?  If so, I saw couple on eBAY I think that were NOS and expensive as I remember.

Doug

No, I'm looking for Wheelwell trim.  Mine are banged up a bit and dented.  I'll probably have to order full set, but would rather just get two front wheelwell trims.

On 5/22/2023 at 8:07 AM, jft69z said:

found it.  LOL  Right after I posted it I typed in partsplace and it came up.  DUH!  Thanks Joe!  Got any old Indian tricks for removing rear brake lines from the rear end rubber line?  Got the single end done but the junction end where the two axle brake lines come in can't get them broke................sigh................

1 hour ago, NavyCPO said:

Got the single end done but the junction end where the two axle brake lines come in can't get them broke................sigh................

It's always something...

You could try a little heat on the fittings, but worst case replace the lines. At least they're fairly short, and the rubber line should be replace anyways if it's pretty old.

If you heat the end of the rubber hose the end may pop off with a little bit of a bang. You can try heat and douse with cold water that works sometimes. When it breaks loose you may want to rock it back and forth. Brake fluid is a little flammable but not like gas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NavyCPO said:

No, I'm looking for Wheelwell trim.  Mine are banged up a bit and dented.  I'll probably have to order full set, but would rather just get two front wheelwell trims.

Okay, Wheel Well Trim.  Now I got it.  I had damaged mine on the passenger front & eventually a NOS single was offered on eBay.  If not an immediate need & NOS is what your after, keep your eye on eBAY.  I see them in sets & doubles on occasion.  Of course, price will be key!  If I come across any, will let you know.  :2beers:

Doug

• Like 1

Took the rear brake lines off as an assembly. Broke loose at the brake backing plates (thank goodness they just popped loose from there) took out the bolt for the center junction block/rubber hose and took to the shop where I have my vise.  Clamped the junction in the vise and gave it hell with vice grips and finally got both lines to come apart.  I have to admit I was tempted to re-use the lines and put them back together with my small vise grips and that lil devil guy on my shoulder kept sayin ah they'll be alright, and since you changed the rubber hose you'll probably never have to take them off again.  Then that fella on my other shoulder kept sayin' NO don't do it!  Do it right Dale, funny, he sure looked a lot like JoeT  Blahahahaha!  Anyway, went to autozone and picked up a 72" brake line and some tube nuts and went home and proceeded to build new rear brake lines.  First one, went pretty good, and went right on the car.  YAY!!!!! (Hope it doesn't leak, I'm not a flaring expert)  2nd one kept bending during the first flaring operation.  Tried to use the tool to straighten it and continue flaring but had to cut it off and try again.  (I only allowed myself a 1/2" extra)  Attempt 2 bent again, and this time I broke my flaring tool trying to get it to straighten up.  CRAP!  Stop work, go to Harbor Freight (thank goodness we have one here in BFE finally) go home try again and still trying to bend but I managed to get it all the way down and do the 2nd flaring operation and I think it will be OK.  We'll see when I go to bleed the brakes.  That 2nd line was a Capital B to get on the wheel cylinder but I finally won after much cussing and ranting and raving!!!!!!  Topped off the rear end with gear oil while I was under there and cleaned up a ground for what looked like the fuel tank sending unit also and called it a day.  Was supposed to get my new rotor today but it didn't show up.  Maybe tomorrow I'll start taking the HVAC box apart.  The new Evaporator is here.  Won't be long now, I should be back on the road again very soon.  Probably next week sometime.  Can't wait!

P.S.  I had my coveralls on yesterday and was there in spirit with Joe and Wayne if they changed out Wayne's TQ Converter yesterday and put on his new compressor I think it was?  Hope you guys got her done!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2023 at 7:50 PM, 72-CLASSIC_RIDE said:

Okay, Wheel Well Trim.  Now I got it.  I had damaged mine on the passenger front & eventually a NOS single was offered on eBay.  If not an immediate need & NOS is what your after, keep your eye on eBAY.  I see them in sets & doubles on occasion.  Of course, price will be key!  If I come across any, will let you know.  :2beers:

Doug

Thank you Doug!

8 hours ago, NavyCPO said:

Then that fella on my other shoulder kept sayin' NO don't do it!  Do it right Dale, funny, he sure looked a lot like JoeT  Blahahahaha! 

P.S.  I had my coveralls on yesterday and was there in spirit with Joe and Wayne if they changed out Wayne's TQ Converter yesterday and put on his new compressor I think it was?  Hope you guys got her done!

I'm usually called the devil, so in this case I'm glad to be the good guy 😁.

We didn't get the converter done yesterday. Spent the better part of the day on the A/C changing all the o-rings, flushing the condenser & evaporator, calibrating the cycling switch, and installing the new compressor, receiver/drier & expansion valve. Purge with nitrogen, 45 minute vacuum draw, leak check & recharge with refrigerant, and it was making cold air. Throw in a parts run and it was close to a 10 hour day already.

We plan to do the trans next week, so there's still plenty of time for you to come help...

• Like 3

Glad you guys have been so productive,  as for me I could hardly walk Monday as I did something to my back loading some stuff in my truck for camp. It's a little better now at least I can walk now. Heading out to camp today so hopefully things will get better. Have a good holiday weekend everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, NavyCPO said:

Then that fella on my other shoulder kept sayin' NO don't do it!  Do it right Dale, funny, he sure looked a lot like JoeT  Blahahahaha! 

Dale i have the same 2 guys talking/screaming  to me as i do stuff, But not sure they look like Joe T!!!  lol

I think we All have them!!!  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/25/2023 at 11:34 PM, jft69z said:

I'm usually called the devil, so in this case I'm glad to be the good guy 😁.

We didn't get the converter done yesterday. Spent the better part of the day on the A/C changing all the o-rings, flushing the condenser & evaporator, calibrating the cycling switch, and installing the new compressor, receiver/drier & expansion valve. Purge with nitrogen, 45 minute vacuum draw, leak check & recharge with refrigerant, and it was making cold air. Throw in a parts run and it was close to a 10 hour day already.

We plan to do the trans next week, so there's still plenty of time for you to come help...

Glad you guys got the AC working good.  What a PITA working on that stuff can be.  I took some time off to enjoy the Holiday weekend with my sweety pie and didn't get much done on the car this weekend. 

Might get the brakes finished up tonight, but might not, we'll see how energetic I am.  I'm in a hurry to get her back on the road again, and at the same time, not so much, and just taking my time.  I'm curious to see if my new brake lines are going to hold pressure and seal up.  I'm not too pleased with the way the flaring process went, but hopefully they will work.  Then the last piece of the A/C system to tackle, the dreaded Evaporator!  LOL

54 minutes ago, NavyCPO said:

Then the last piece of the A/C system to tackle, the dreaded Evaporator!  LOL

Don't sweat it, it'll be an easy job. (Especially from my lazy-boy chair, :k).

Sorry, couldn't help myself, the little a-hole on my shoulder made me do it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1