Distributor replacement

Tom Carter

So last year I did a rebuild and upgrade on the 350. I was easy on it last year because I don't want to beat a just rebuilt engine until it has some break in miles on it. This spring I took the car out of the garage and found there is an oil leak on the passenger side of the engine. it was coming down the head and dripping on the header. I assumed it was an intake leak just because I could see any leaking from the valve cover. So the weather got a little colder and I didn't want to drive it with any possible salt on the road. I decided to pull the carb, distributor, and use an inspection mirror to try to find the leak. I could see it was around the distributor area. The back of the intake looked good so I left that alone. I decided to pull the passenger side valve cover and reseal it anyway just because I was there and it was an easy time to do it. I pulled the fitting for the oil gage and resealed that. I read in a thread somewhere that it is possible that because of an after market intake and an after market distributor there is a possibility that the shaft is a touch to long and bottoming out. Or the machine surfaces are not perfect. So I decided to replace  the distributor with an Accel complete unit. Double gasketed the distributor shaft seal. Reassembled the rest of the engine. It sat for a few weeks while the weather improved. I did start it prior to yesterday just to see if the oil leak was cured. It did see to be. I took it out of the garage yesterday to test drive it. I let the engine warm up and adjusted the timing to about 10 degrees. When I took it up the road it felt like a different engine. I was very surprised at how much power it seem to have right off the bat. My question is, is it possible that a different distributor could make that much difference. The new distributor was complete meaning cap, rotor, and coil. The performance was much better and even the idle in gear was much better. I can't believe that my old distributor was a problem but I wish I changed it last year when I did the overhaul. Has anyone ran into this kind of thing before? I would love to hear you guys input on this one. Sorry for rambling. 

Yes it can make a difference. What was your old set up? Points? 

I would also bump up the timing a little more, to like 12 degrees initial and with the vacuum advance disconnected, if you are using it, bring the rpm to 3000 in park and check total timing. Should be between 32-34 total. Then you know your timing is optimal. Should wake it up a little more. 

• Like 3

I had an hei in the engine before. I can't say how old it is or if its gm or after market. I did do the job for the last 25 or so years. I want to get some timing tape for the balancer so I can check the total timing and such. I bought a different balancer that was indicated but the stub shaft was to long and it hurt my pully alignment. That is going to be my next step. 

• Like 1

How is the engine starting when at 12 degrees. It is starting fine at the moment but I'm open to trying other things. Just want to make sure I don't have  a starting issue. I do have a high torque starter. Love that thing. So much better than the old bulky one. 

Every engine combo is different. I just gave you general observations. Try your combo at 12 degrees initial and see how she likes it. Most  small block engines do. 

• Like 2

I'd recommend getting something like this.  There are more expensive ones out there, but the reviews on this one were very good and for the price, they're easy to use.  Better than a tape in my humble opinion.    https://www.harborfreight.com/timing-light-with-advance-40963.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12144811130&campaignid=12144811130&utm_content=117789256718&adsetid=117789256718&product=40963&store=&gclid=CjwKCAjw0ZiiBhBKEiwA4PT9z82Yv-PM5Rugju0rR3-w6dvNYW8pB9tNEIJYZCtXCLbERzwKXXVkMxoCl-4QAvD_BwE

Great. I will definitely give that a try. I do love Harbor Freight. Like a kid in a candy story. Never thought to look at them for a timing light. I would rather have one with the dial advance. Thank you. Appreciate the input.