Questions on 441 Heads

NavyCPO

So my original thoughts were that the 1970 350 2 bbl engines would have the same heads as the 350 4bbl cars and the engine block would be basically the same except for the 2 bbl intake and carb.  But now I'm not sure.  My car has 441 heads on it, and all Mortec.com says is that they came on 69-70 350's with 76cc chambers.  I was hoping these would be the so called "fuelie" heads but now I'm thinking they are not.  So my question is, Does anyone know what size valves came stock in the 441 heads?  I'm hoping they are at least 1.94/1.5 and not the peanut heads 1.7/1.5's.  I'm thinking that if they are at least 1.94/1.5 they would be adequate to run 4 bbl intake and carb.  Also, does anyone know what the intake runners would be on 441 heads?  165cc 170? 180? Less?  One last question, I believe the 300HP 350 had 9.5 or 9.8:1 compression.  Should this 2bbl build still have the same pistions etc for the higher compression like the 4bbl 350 or is it actually a whole different engine?  Your insight will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by NavyCPO

What are you looking to do Dale? More oomphh? If so, I suggest the vortec style heads. Smaller chamber, great runners and relatively cheap. You can now purchase them with the original intake and valve cover configuration. Definitely a great bang for your buck exchange. 

I don't know the exact specs on the 441 heads (Google them) but I do remember them being one of the better heads for a small block except for the pressed in rocker studs. 

• Like 2

Hey Dale,

From what I've read, the 441's came with the 1.94/1.5 valves and 74 cc's of chamber. The flow rates were good for mid performance usage. Being the basic G.M. head, there's lots of metal if you chose to rework them for better flow/compression, but the big point, as Thomas mentioned, is the pressed in studs that can eventually loosen. (post 1970) There are after market kits/shops that can tap and replace these studs if you plan on any hard usage. 

Scott.