8.2" 10 bolt

NavyCPO

Ok so before everbody says throw away this 8.2" 10 bolt, let me say this.  I used to have a '68 Camaro with a 540 BBC (730HP)and it had an 8.2" 10 bolt in it.  I put Richmond 3:73 gears in it with all new carrier and axle bearings  and a set of Moser 28 spline axles in it (still used the stock 3 series carrier) and I welded the axle tubes to the housing and never had a problem with the rearend.  Now, having said that, the car would usually spin the tires and I never did get the car back halfed or 4 linked or ladder bars.  Just leaf springs with slapper bars.  But the 8.2" held up to some abuse.  I've heard on here that folks say the 8.2" rears can only handle about 400HP.  Buying a new Rear End is extremely costly nowadays.  What I remember as being about 18-2200 for a fully assembled Moser rearend is today 4700+.  Not in my budget.  I know I can get a used 12 bolt out of a chevelle and I've seen some.  But wanting to hear your experience and knowledge with the 8.2".  Thanks in advance!

I sheared the pinion gear off on my first Monte with a 327/350 hp engine (my high school car). The yoke was still bolted to the end of the driveshaft, leaked gear oil all over the street.

It was right up the block from my parents house, and it smelled like gear oil at that intersection for a long, long time. 😁.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just to let you know, I've had a  2:73 gear ratio posi-traction behind my 420 hp 355 small block for the last 23years with no issues. I had thought it was a 3:42 gear because of the RPM's it was running at 70 mph. I'd like to also add that I had a'68 Firebird  with a 4:88 Gear 10 bolt posi-traction and a 455 big block 400 turbo transmission and never had a problem turning 13.0/31 inch tires ( slicks) and turning 7400 RPM's in the 1/8 mile every weekend back in the day. The10 bolt was a great rear axle no matter the combination in my mind.That's running 7. 30s in the 1/8 mile, 11.30s in the 1/4 mile

Edited by 420ponies
Added content
  • Like 1

Hey Dale,

With all that re-enforcement on your Camaro's differential, it's hard to compare it to a stock one.

I've had a few 8.2" rear ends over the years. My '80 El Camino had one with 3.08 gears and cratered at about 70,000 miles, whereas my '86 Buick T-Type had one with 3.42 gears and was still running strong at 180,000 miles. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

Montelishi originally arrived with an 8.2" with 2.73 gears, (which are still laying around here somewhere.) 

But when I went to the 200r4, I wanted to up the ratio, and luckily I found a 12 bolt with 3.31 gears for $1600.00 (cdn), which was cheaper than rebuilding the 8.2". 

I know "A" body rear ends are hard to find these days..... But if you're not in a big rush, maybe the right deal may come along. 

22 hours ago, 420ponies said:

Just to let you know, I've had a  2:73 gear ratio posi-traction behind my 420 hp 355 small block for the last 23years with no issues. I had thought it was a 3:42 gear because of the RPM's it was running at 70 mph. I'd like to also add that I had a'68 Firebird  with a 4:88 Gear 10 bolt posi-traction and a 455 big block 400 turbo transmission and never had a problem turning 13.0/31 inch tires ( slicks) and turning 7400 RPM's in the 1/8 mile every weekend back in the day. The10 bolt was a great rear axle no matter the combination in my mind.That's running 7. 30s in the 1/8 mile, 11.30s in the 1/4 mile

You're talking about the 8.2" 10 bolt or the 8.5"?

2 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Hey Dale,

With all that re-enforcement on your Camaro's differential, it's hard to compare it to a stock one.

I've had a few 8.2" rear ends over the years. My '80 El Camino had one with 3.08 gears and cratered at about 70,000 miles, whereas my '86 Buick T-Type had one with 3.42 gears and was still running strong at 180,000 miles. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

Montelishi originally arrived with an 8.2" with 2.73 gears, (which are still laying around here somewhere.) 

But when I went to the 200r4, I wanted to up the ratio, and luckily I found a 12 bolt with 3.31 gears for $1600.00 (cdn), which was cheaper than rebuilding the 8.2". 

I know "A" body rear ends are hard to find these days..... But if you're not in a big rush, maybe the right deal may come along. 

Thanks for your feedback!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scott S. said:

Hey Dale,

The regal t-type and grand national along with the hurst olds and 442 had 8.5 rear ends from the factory and the el caminos came with 7.5 rears from the factory. 

• Like 1

Yes Dale , The 8.2" . Only way to explain this rear axle is it doesn't have the 2 cast lugs under the diff. cover like the 8.5" . Just like the one in my old '68 Firebird race car.

20 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

The regal t-type and grand national along with the hurst olds and 442 had 8.5 rear ends from the factory and the el caminos came with 7.5 rears from the factory. 

I guess you can't judge a differential by it's cover..... When I replaced the oil in the T-Type, no one knew which cover gasket to use, so I got both. Wound up using the smaller one, assumed that meant it was an 8.2". 30 years later, I still have the bigger gasket, and it didn't fit the 8.2" in my '70 either.