1971 THM350 Leaking

stangeba

My 71 THM350 has had a drip for a long time but over the winter it got much worse. I have old cardboard under the engine and trans and both have had some leakage but not like the trans over last winter did. I had to add some trans fluid and drove it, no problem. New cardboard and last time I looked the leak was back to slight. I see it is very wet around the speedo cable area. I assume the torque converter drains back into the pan when it's not driven causing that area to have a higher level that after a drive. I don't feel like working on stuff under the car anymore at my age so I'm looking for a trans repair shop in my area of Macomb County, Michigan. I had it rebuilt about 30+ years ago and the converter was replaced but I don't remember why. I did ask the local Chevy dealership where I purchased my Monte from and that said they would look at it. Several other shops said no. 

Any thoughts?

Could be the pan gasket or the speedo cable. Most places can do that. Might as well have the filter changed and the fluid flushed while you are at it. Standard service stuff. I'm surprised anyone turned that job down frankly. 

I totally understand not wanting to do under-car work. Not only does it suck to go up and down and work lying on your back, but I have a fear of jack stands. LOL Anyhow, I can't recommend any shops in MI, but it shouldn't be terribly difficult to find a trans shop who works on the Turbo 350. I'm not saying that you shouldn't take it to the Chevy dealer. After all, you would think they would be the experts. BUT, I don't know of any dealerships that repair transmissions these days. When there is a failure (rare), they replace the entire unit. I remember back in the day, you could walk into a service department and see engines and transmissions in various states of disassembly being repaired. Those days are long gone. And I'll bet the dealer would be very expensive even if they can/do work on them.

I had my Turbo 350 rebuilt a couple of years ago. The total bill was less than $1000 and that included removal and installation. These are not complicated transmissions by today's standards. The guys and gals who rebuild them can do them with their eyes closed.

Maybe do a Google search for transmission shops near you? I'm not familiar with your location, but there must be one or two that would have no problem working on a Turbo 350.

Good luck!!

Thanks Bryan,

I worked in a Ford dealership from 1972 till 1982 then a Buick dealership for 1 year and I remember our trans mechanic's rebuilding and repairing every day. I am looking into a few places now.