AU Air Cleaner Decal?

mon-tss

From what i get Dennis the CN means what type of air cleaner. I am guessing the order came in and the worker had to pick from the 3 that were in the pics that Kevin showed me, and the CN was the one that matched the 454 engine.    What does everyone else think????       

The CN is not supposed to be the same as the AU Dennis. The CN stands alone as the correct air cleaner for the 454.   The AU is supposed to be in 3 places build sheet, air cleaner, and the rad cover sticker.

That’s great but then why is there no AU sticker available but the CN is ?  I’m not disagreeing with what Darren says, he’s probably forgot more than I ever knew, but is there verifiable proof that all three of these should be the same?  

3 hours ago, willie said:

I just searched back to the post from when i was schooled by Darren. I am not going to copy it as WE ALL need to read the entire thread!!!

Search-Darren

2 pages in-Air cleaner (from me Willie)

Date is-Sept 12, 2019

Please read the entire thread (invaluable)!!!

Is this the thread you're referring to?

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20250-air-cleaner/#comment-203658

15 hours ago, willie said:

Glen i can go for a darn ice cream about now as i was thinking about this all day!!! My one cell brain is working overtime!!  

Ok so Glen your 70 has CN in box 53-55 that's what we all have as it shows what type air cleaner, and your 104 box shows DQ (this is what i would go with for the 70).

On your 71 (paperwork not there) what does the rad cover sticker say, and the air cleaner sticker say? Are they both the same and original? When you get the paperwork you need to find box 91 and try and make that out and if is compatible to your other 2 stickers, hopefully they are. If not something is not correct.

I  don't have a 70 B?S to help only 71s, and they all seem to be the same. Maybe a different code in box 91 but at least the 53-55 box has the CN.

If any one else has a build sheet for a 71SS please let us know if there is a CN in box 53-55 and let us know what is in box 91 (Mine is AU) it could be something else, but let us know.....

The bottom line is, all 3 are supposed to match if not something has been changed somewhere. The cars are over 50 years old. Someone, somewhere changed something if they dont match. Not blaming Osbourne for selling anything but the people who bought some of them should have qurstioned at that point. Dven when Darren originally told me i said how can that be because no one was selling what i needed to match. But i tip my hat to him as he knew what he was talking about. I am just passing it along. 

Ok Willie, hope this’ll hold ya over til I get home to look at the car. 

Bob sent me a pic of the B/S and P-O-P when we were negotiating the sale/purchase. I located it in my photos , however it’s quite fuzzy/grainy. But I can definitely make out the ‘CN’ and ‘AU’ in (what appears to be) their respective boxes.  See if this lines up with your theory…

C2E6120F-DDB9-45D9-8A86-8E93D6A1F6DE.png

919C5C03-FA8E-470C-A9D8-2A5E13EBBC29.png

There you go guys!!!! Thats what i mean. But all the credit goes to Mr Darren!! I just happened to be in the right spot at the right time and asked about the air cleaner. 

I’m still not convinced. Why doesn’t the build sheet state AU in the cleaner box? Why can you buy a CN sticker and not an AU sticker? What proves him to be right, I’m not saying he’s wrong but where’s the proof?  

Dennis it looks like everyone has a CN air filter i am guessing that's the most popular, so that's what they sell, not so much the purest. Dennis the Au is directly connected to the emissions Thats why the carb with the original tag is the same as the letters on the air cleaner, rad cover sticker and also in your build sheet. 

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Glen that’s exactly like my sheet. Is yours California built?

The ‘70 was Van Nuys built 

The ‘71 was Kansas City

* Side note:  I bought a correct restored air cleaner for the ‘70 a while back but it still sits in a box as it won’t sit on the aftermarket Quick Fuel carb. I am 100% certain that the sticker on the side has the ‘CN’ on it. At least that’s one less thing to hunt down when it’s time to return her to stock. 

I don't know who this Darren guy is but I am going with CN decal on the air cleaner and AU on the Rad. Support.

He may be the guy that personally installed them on everyone of these cars , which I doubt

Right or wrong that's what Iam doing

20 minutes ago, mon-tss said:

I don't know who this Darren guy is but I am going with CN decal on the air cleaner and AU on the Rad. Support.

He may be the guy that personally installed them on everyone of these cars , which I doubt

Darren is a VERY knowledgeable person when it comes to these cars and I do believe what he says but I would just like more proof. 

I am not by any means telling anyone to do anything. All i am doing is passing along the information i deem correct, As i truly believe its correct. What everyone does to there own car is up to them. I am just trying to pass down the knowledge that i recieve to others.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Glen said:

Now I’m totally confused… just checked the sticker on the ‘71.  Anyone know what this is all about?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, willie said:

I Love it Glen, but the color is a little off!!  LOL

Yeah… I got what I paid for when I downloaded the free Photoshop app 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, mon-tss said:

Here ya go, Willie.  I finally found time to get out to the garage.

Pictured are the air cleaner and radiator plate stickers occupying their respective places under hood on my ‘71 SS. 

For those of you keepin’ score at home:

Darren - 1

Dennis - 0

A4239B77-051A-4898-8F89-27DE4B61BEE6.jpeg

364A15DC-6D6E-46BE-8868-916FF7B88075.jpeg

All this conversation got me off the couch and I dug up a build sheet for a 71 SS I had many years ago. It’s very hard to make out with the crease in the build sheet, but I suspect box 91 is AU. Box 53 is CN. 

IMG_0255.jpeg

IMG_0249.jpeg

13 minutes ago, sbarnette said:

All this conversation got me off the couch and I dug up a build sheet for a 71 SS I had many years ago. It’s very hard to make out with the crease in the build sheet, but I suspect box 91 is AU. Box 53 is CN. 

IMG_0255.jpeg

IMG_0249.jpeg

That’s one heavily optioned SS.  Must’ve been fun being able to order a new car like that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glen said:

Here ya go, Willie.  I finally found time to get out to the garage.

Pictured are the air cleaner and radiator plate stickers occupying their respective places under hood on my ‘71 SS. 

For those of you keepin’ score at home:

Darren - 1

Dennis - 0

A4239B77-051A-4898-8F89-27DE4B61BEE6.jpeg

364A15DC-6D6E-46BE-8868-916FF7B88075.jpeg

I beg to differ with the score. Please reread post. 

28 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I beg to differ with the score. Please reread post. 

Do I have to take off my shoes to count on my toes?  Cuz if so, I’ll just concede and save those around me the horrors of the funk which emanates from my shoes. 

Again i am not taking sides!!!!         Glen i think (in my opinion) you said your rad sticker was original, but your air cleaner was correctly RESTORED to (the last owners car) or the sticker he could get at the time. If your rad sticker reads AU and its original, the air cleaner should read AU, along with your missing build sheet. According to what i get from the homework i have done.

Sammy thanks for checking, This is the way i am understanding they all (71s) are shown. Now i have to prove it but can't as of yet!!   And like Glen said a very nicely optioned SS!!

What we need is a few guys that have had their cars since new, and didn't change anything that still have their build sheets to check all three spots and see what they have?  

I had bought a restored air cleaner also many years ago, i still have it boxed and put away. I will dig it out tomm and just for the hell of it see what sticker is on it.

Dennis i agree at this time, Darren is up 1.   But still trying to get proof of what i was told. As you all can see in the other tread.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, willie said:

Again i am not taking sides!!!!         Glen i think (in my opinion) you said your rad sticker was original, but your air cleaner was correctly RESTORED to (the last owners car) or the sticker he could get at the time. If your rad sticker reads AU and its original, the air cleaner should read AU, along with your missing build sheet. According to what i get from the homework i have done.

Sammy thanks for checking, This is the way i am understanding they all (71s) are shown. Now i have to prove it but can't as of yet!!   And like Glen said a very nicely optioned SS!!

I’m just busting Dennis’s stones.  He picks on me incessantly, routinely putting me in headlocks and giving me noogies.  So I take the easy shots whenever the opportunities present themselves 😂

Regarding the RESTORED air cleaner I mentioned… that one is for my ‘70 when the time comes to put her back to stock. 

The pix of the stickers I sent earlier are on my ‘71.  Earlier in the thread I sent the fuzzy pix of the 71’s B/S (CN & AU codes present), corroborating what’s reflected on those stickers. 

My 70’s B/S reflects (mostly) the ‘CN’ and ‘DQ’ in their respective locations.  However, this car has neither its original air cleaner nor radiator top plate (I also have one of these ready to go for when she goes back to stock).

Confusing?  Just a tad. 

• Like 1