AU Air Cleaner Decal?

mon-tss

It doesn't make sense to me. The build sheet is just that, The guy standing on the assembly line looks at the build sheet; air cleaner box says CN why would he grab a AU cleaner?  The emission decal don't mean sqat to him and the air cleaner has NOTHING to do with emissions. They all used the same one.  I don't know carbs that well but I can see AU showing up on the carb.

That's my two cents worth, may or may not be worth two cents.

Lyle

Glen so we agree that the B/S are correct, and the proof is that we need to have an original car with original stickers to prove it, As of yet we don't have it because it seems one of the three is, or has been changed already. So hopefully someone with an original car and stickers will chime in.    LOL and yes i know and the love we have for Dennis as we all like to tease when we can.

Lyle yes the guy on the line that put the air cleaner on, would grab the CN air cleaner as all of our SS;s show then the next guy who puts the stickers on, puts the AU stickers on all three places. From what i am getting the CN is the type of air cleaner (like in the pic that Tom or Kevin sent of the 3 types) The 402 air cleaner would be lets say (CB?) and the 350 air cleaner would be (CQ?). Whatever would be in box 53-55.               The AU in box 91 of the B/S dictates what emission sticker as per what carb is going on the car to what is in that other thread.                           

Maybe i am not explaining it correctly and i am sorry if i am not. But i do believe this is the truth to the best of my knowledge.

I know I’m just being a tool here, and it’s mostly fun harassment, but I believe the sticker on the air cleaner is not so much about the air cleaner as it is about the air filter. Please keep your gm all gm and use gm replacement parts. It is all emissions related but remember this was the beginning of all that crap and everyone was still in a learning phase. I still think I’m up one. Lol. 

• Like 1

I thjnk is is about the filter also.. But the is nothing else on the air cleaner itself. No stampings So I assume the sticker is already alttached and this is how he knows which one goes where.

All guessing. Be interesting to talk to someone who  worked the assembly line to get an idea of how it worked

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

I know I’m just being a tool here, and it’s mostly fun harassment, but I believe the sticker on the air cleaner is not so much about the air cleaner as it is about the air filter. Please keep your gm all gm and use gm replacement parts. It is all emissions related but remember this was the beginning of all that crap and everyone was still in a learning phase. I still think I’m up one. Lol. 

I tend to agree that the CN references the FILTER, not the the air cleaner itself. The sticker verbiage regarding keeping your GM car all GM only bolsters this theory;  the sticker was likely placed there strategically to subliminally steer vehicle owners towards buying GM / AC Delco replacement filters.

Now… here’s where I’m gonna throw a wrench in the works:  Google search the GM part number (6484583) adjacent to the ‘CN’ on the label. 🤔

The plot thickens…

• Like 1

Ok i checked my restored air cleaner that i purchased many years ago. It has the same label as Glen has with a CN and same part number. I still believe that is a generic sticker the restores had gotten years ago.  None of my cars are complete with all 2 stickers and B/S.  I also checked my numbers matching SS and it only has a rad sticker and it reads AU, No air cleaner or B/S.      I looked for another source for the air cleaner sticker and none of the parts cars have the correct air cleaner with sticker. So no help there either.  After all that looking (for no answers yet) i found another used air cleaner for an SS with a sticker of CQ but i am pretty sure its the same number that Glen has on his sticker.    So we are still in dark as proof....

1 hour ago, willie said:

Ok i checked my restored air cleaner that i purchased many years ago. It has the same label as Glen has with a CN and same part number. I still believe that is a generic sticker the restores had gotten years ago.  None of my cars are complete with all 2 stickers and B/S.  I also checked my numbers matching SS and it only has a rad sticker and it reads AU, No air cleaner or B/S.      I looked for another source for the air cleaner sticker and none of the parts cars have the correct air cleaner with sticker. So no help there either.  After all that looking (for no answers yet) i found another used air cleaner for an SS with a sticker of CQ but i am pretty sure its the same number that Glen has on his sticker.    So we are still in dark as proof....

This is me, admitting the Great Air Cleaner / Filter Debate has emerged the victor…

12AD1DB6-255A-4C13-B6DE-7912270BE9ED.jpeg

• Like 3

No doubt Glen. It’s going to beat us all up. What I find funny is aftermarket will reproduce a rear bumper strip for a 71 SS knowing that only 1919  were ever built and probably less than 1/2 still exist. But they won’t reproduce a stupid sticker that thousands of cars used. If they did, that would be the proof Willie is trying to find. But I guess if they did reproduce it this fun conversation would never have happened. Go Willie. 

• Like 4

I am to muddy the waters some more or maybe not.

After going through my build sheets here is the list I found

1970 250   Air Cleaner Decal LD    Em. Decal LA

1970 307  Air Cleaner Decal CI      EM. Decal  AD

1970 350  Air Cleaner Decal CJ     Em. Decal DO

1970 402 Air Cleaner Decal CM     Em. Decal  DD

1970 454 Air Cleaner Decal CN      Em. Decal  DQ

1971 350 Air Cleaner Decal  CJ     Em. Decal AP

1971 402 Air Cleaner Decal  CM    Em. Decal AT

1971 454 Air Cleaner Decal CN      Em. Decal AU

1972 402 Air Cleaner Decal  CM    Em. Decal LT

1972 454 Air Cleaner Decal  CN    Em. Decal  LX (verified with Willie's build sheet)

And I asked the guy at Napa about the air filter and he said all v-8 take the same number.

So??

All the air filters where the same number a A-348-C or part number 6484235 from GM. I did find a site that reproduces the CN label if anyone is interested. The part-number on the cd label is not the part number for the element or the air cleaner. 

19 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

All the air filters where the same number a A-348-C or part number 6484235 from GM. I did find a site that reproduces the CN label if anyone is interested. The part-number on the cd label is not the part number for the element or the air cleaner. 

Ok now that’s straight. Good clarification. 

On 5/1/2023 at 4:18 PM, mon-tss said:

After going through my build sheets here is the list I found......

Good information. But are you sure that is the letters for the decals and not something else related to the air cleaner?

On 5/1/2023 at 3:49 PM, Dtret said:

No doubt Glen. It’s going to beat us all up. What I find funny is aftermarket will reproduce a rear bumper strip for a 71 SS knowing that only 1919  were ever built and probably less than 1/2 still exist. But they won’t reproduce a stupid sticker that thousands of cars used. If they did, that would be the proof Willie is trying to find. But I guess if they did reproduce it this fun conversation would never have happened. Go Willie. 

Companies repop the rear bumper strip for the ‘71’s for guys like you who clone them…

J/K 😂

• Like 1

Hey guys i don't know what the truth is either. I think we beat the dead horse twice over. I was hoping someone else knew for sure and would of chimed in, but that didn't happen, so we are all back here scratching our heads!!

I am not giving up, just don't know where else to look! I believe what i was told and going to stick with it until i see proof that it's not true. I will agree to disagree until we find more info or clarification on this.

I still want to Thank everyone for attempting to get to the bottom of this, as we all did some homework but still didn't get where we want to be.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Dtret said:

The proof is out there and it will be found. 

This is one I won't be touching. Maybe if I was still working and had more free time to search :k.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, jft69z said:

This is one I won't be touching. Maybe if I was still working and had more free time to search :k.

There is a certain word that comes to mind for that response. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dtret said:

There is a certain word that comes to mind for that response. 

And what is that word? Will it be 'censored'?

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2023 at 4:18 PM, mon-tss said:

After going through my build sheets here is the list I found

1970 454 Air Cleaner Decal CN      Em. Decal  DC?

That is a great list Lyle, and helped us come to a conclusion about the stickers earlier today.

I do have a question though on the 1970 454 Emissions label. Is there any chance it is 'DQ', and is it for a SS Monte?

I can't seem to find a label with the DC code, & Glen's 70 SS does have a DQ code in the appropriate box.

Thanks

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mon-tss said:

Yes; I found one easier to read DQ it is.

Perfect!

I'll change it on your list above. I can see that being a useful reference in the future. I'm going to add for 1972 454 as well (verified by Willie's build sheet)

EDIT: I see you already changed it, thx!

• Like 2

OK Let me also say on further discussion, this is what we now believe as the truth to our cars. Joe and i were on the phone today with all the info we had on hand and agreed that the air cleaner in box 53-55 of our B/S should be "CN" and it should also be a "CN" on the sticker on the air cleaner. 

So that means the emission sticker on your rad covers 2 letters should match your B/S in box 91 or 104. There are  more than a few different sets, so i didn't post them all as Lyle did a great job doing that above.

Glad we all came to a combined decision and now can move forward to our next important issue......

Dennis is buying ice cream for all us!!!!  lol

• Like 3