AU Air Cleaner Decal?

mon-tss

1 minute ago, willie said:

Joe you might have to add to that first paragraph that is for a 71 SS.

Where?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, willie said:

The first paragraph i didn't state the CN and AU were for a 71SS

It's on Lyle's list correctly. 

• Like 1

That all being said, Lyle do you want me to look up a place to buy an 'AU' label from?

Almost forgot what the whole point of this thread was for, lol.

EDIT:  https://www.musclecarcentral.com/1971-Chevelle-Emission-Decal-454-with-365-HP-p/sti-4431.htm

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/dc499.html

21 minutes ago, jft69z said:

That all being said, Lyle do you want me to look up a place to buy an 'AU' label from?

Almost forgot what the whole point of this thread was for, lol.

EDIT:  https://www.musclecarcentral.com/1971-Chevelle-Emission-Decal-454-with-365-HP-p/sti-4431.htm

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/dc499.html

Nope I got my CN air cleaner sticker and My AU rad. sticker. I am going to try to work around my original sticker as it is in really good shape but have the new just in case

• Like 1

I double checked my build sheet box 104 and the emission sticker on my 70. They are both coded AW. We're the emissions on these cars in th 70s very from region to region?

20230502_213804.jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

Don’t know why I didn’t think of it earlier, but here’s the build sheet from the car assembled a few after my ‘70 was put together.

It’s a 350/300, and true to Lyle’s data deciphering, the Air Cleaner (Box 55) reflects ‘CJ’ and the Engine Tune Label (Box 104) reflects ‘DO’.  Feel free to add this to your Build Sheet collection, Lyle. 

280502A2-CEF8-470B-9BAF-50F23C9542F7.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

I double checked my build sheet box 104 and the emission sticker on my 70. They are both coded AW. We're the emissions on these cars in th 70s very from region to region?

20230502_213804.jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

That’s definitely interesting.

Could it be different letters (“tunes”) used by the different assembly plants?   Different tunes depending on delivery destinations (altitude)?

Here’s another anomaly:  look at the differences in our Build Sheets for the engine and trans boxes.

We both have ‘70 SS’s - ‘C (R) N’ engine code. But yours also has an ‘8’.  Is this to denote it as an 8 cylinder?

Then look at your trans box compared to mine. We all know ‘CR’ is the proper code for a ‘70 SS, so what’s with the ‘CSHF’ on your B/S? 

I’m beginning to think some codes varied, albeit slightly, from plant to plant. Do you have the Protect-O-Plate?  If so, how’s it stamped regarding motor and trans?

Looks like I may have just reignited the whole Build Sheet decipherin’ debacle.

Sorry, Wille 🤣😂 

A8444BCE-1FAF-4B0C-9DA9-04A4A2678C2E.png

• Like 1

PS - yes, it kinda pi**ed me off to have such a pristine Build Sheet pulled from my SS that belonged to a different car.  

Someone on the line tucked the wrong build sheet into the wrong seat. Or someone on the line grabbed seats (both black vinyl buckets) in the wrong sequence. 

Well at least I have ONE that authenticates the car and all the options are visible for when it’s time to put her back to stock 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glen said:

Here’s another anomaly:  look at the differences in our Build Sheets for the engine and trans boxes.

We both have ‘70 SS’s - ‘C (R) N’ engine code. But yours also has an ‘8’.  Is this to denote it as an 8 cylinder?

Then look at your trans box compared to mine. We all know ‘CR’ is the proper code for a ‘70 SS, so what’s with the ‘CSHF’ on your B/S? 

I’m beginning to think some codes varied, albeit slightly, from plant to plant. Do you have the Protect-O-Plate?  If so, how’s it stamped regarding motor and trans?

Look here for some 1970 deciphering info regarding those B/S blocks, and some info regarding the different plants. 

http://chevellestuff.net/1970/bs_reading01.htm

There is also that decoding CD for 1970 SS Chevelles available. I think I'm going to order it just to see if there's anything useful on it. Dennis said he'd be interested in seeing what info was on it as well. 

Edit: I just ordered the download version of that CD. Just have to wait for the gentleman to process the transaction and provide a download link. Hopefully that will be today.

• Thank You! 1

17 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Look here for some 1970 deciphering info regarding those B/S blocks, and some info regarding the different plants. 

http://chevellestuff.net/1970/bs_reading01.htm

There is also that decoding CD for 1970 SS Chevelles available. I think I'm going to order it just to see if there's anything useful on it. Dennis said he'd be interested in seeing what info was on it as well. 

Briefly perused that link.  And therein discovered this juicy tidbit which clarifies plenty:

It's important to note that not all plants were the same when it came to how information was included on these build sheets. Although most of the blocks of data contain the same broadcast code (letters or numbers) for the same item from plant to plant, there are variations. Even the RPO wording in block 107 will vary from plant to plant for the same RPO. So anytime a question is asked about a particular broadcast code, the assembly plant must be taken into consideration.

Now all we need to do is teach Dennis how to read so he can reap all the knowledge from these sources. 🤣😂

Ok here. This started as a question on a sticker and all I did was ask for proof of the information ( thanks to all who helped decipher and get the correct answers). As it turned out the final information proved my questioning to be legitimate. And now I owe everyone ice cream and can’t read. I can get this kind of abuse at home and don’t have to pay for it ( o wait yes I do, never mind). Ha ha ha. JK. LOL. I’m glad the mystery of the sticker is solved. Thanks guys. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Keep it up and you’ll get a strawberry shiner. 😂

Keep it up and you'll get banned for 30 days, bully.....🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After following this I'm SO glad I'm not an "original"/"stock" kinda guy......This would drive me to drink and I don't need any help in that arena 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have more news. Lol. I was looking at my paperweight 71 carb. Deciphering the numbers 

H0.              FA

8/70.            Box 39 of the build sheet

I am currently getting verification on this but I wanted to post this before Rob wakes up and bans me from the site for 30 days. If he does I will type at you all in a month. (LOL. 😂😝😢😢). 

IMG_5145.thumb.png.f63f7d6a003ed2898387a5076b01ed7d.png

19 hours ago, Glen said:

That’s definitely interesting.

Could it be different letters (“tunes”) used by the different assembly plants?   Different tunes depending on delivery destinations (altitude)?

Looks like I may have just reignited the whole Build Sheet decipherin’ debacle.

Sorry, Wille 🤣😂 

A8444BCE-1FAF-4B0C-9DA9-04A4A2678C2E.png

Glen, that is very interesting. I do not have the protect-o-plate. I think we will all learn a bunch from this post

I was researching the code on my build sheet for the transmission code.   I was on the Chevelle Stuff build sheet reference sheet and it looks like different plants might have had different codes. Still looking.

So, Willie asked me about a CN Air Cleaner decal a little bit ago, and it looks like we never posted a link for one.

The GM part number for one would be:   GM  6484583

A quick search located one at Camaro Central (their part number STI-757). Tried Muscle Car Central first, but oddly enough, they don't even list one available & they're part of the same outfit. Regardless, here's a good number for a CN Air Cleaner housing decal:

https://www.camarocentral.com/1969_decal_keep_your_gm_all_gm_350_255_cn_6484583_p/sti-757.htm

CN sticker.JPG

• Like 3