New Issue, Temp Sending Unit wiring

NavyCPO

So I have a light with no gauge on my car for water temp.  The sending unit in the block is a 2 prong unit.  The wiring that was attached to it was a single wire with 2 female spade connectors on it.  While trying to put the terminals back on it the two connectors fell off of the wire. (worn)  I got to thinking about it and can't figure for the life of me why you would have 2 connectors wired in series basically shorting out the two terminals on the temp sender.  There is a 2 receptacle connector up on the firewall that is not connected to anything, that I think might be for the Transmission Controlled Spark option which I don't think I have on my car and it is not long enough to reach the temp sender (although that connector does look like it would fit the offset blades on the sender).  I keep finding this stuff while Joe T is helping me with my HVAC issues (a whole 'nother story).  Anyone have any pictures of your temp sender and wiring or insight into this?  Would be helpful.  Thanks in advance!    P.S.  I have searched the chassis service manual, the assembly manual and can find very little about the Temperature Sensor Unit or the wiring for it.

20230427_005024.jpg

Is the sensor in the cylinder head (which side, driver)? What color is the wire?

• Like 1

Just a guess with the light, 2 prong connector does provide a short to activate the light when the sender reaches its temp point 

I can't be of more help since I have gauges but you may find some info in the posted wiring diagrams 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dtret said:

Get the information Joe asked for. Does this sound familiar Willie?  

We spoke on the phone. Sensor is on the passenger side head, which would make it part of the TCS system.

The switch for the TCS looks to be a two position temperature override switch (hot/cold). When cold, it provides full vacuum to distributor; under normal operating conditions it only provides vacuum in high gear; and in hot position, it provides full vacuum again to help with engine cooling. That explains why the wire is split off like it was.

70 TCS.JPG

• Like 4

Dennis yes you and i have been talking about this for a while. The pic you show comes from Corvettes central, i thought you said Camaro central. Now i am all mixed up! lol    However i think i have 2 wires going to the firewall. Is that because i dont have lights, i have gauges? But if i am not mistaken the wires are green and one green with a white stripe. I will check tomm as maybe i am getting mixed up between the 72 and the car i am working on a 71.   Tkx to Joe for looking that up as he loves that spaghetti, and thank God he does. He always figures it out!!!!    Tkx Joe!!

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 1

9 hours ago, Dtret said:

And this should be the harness you need. 

Dale isn't going to be hooking up the TCS stuff, he just needed to know what those wires were for, and if they were important. Initial thought was that it may be for the the temperature warning light on the dash.

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Camaro and corvette central are the same company. I can’t believe I just typed corvette. Twice. Ugh. Thanks Willie. 

Same as Muscle Car Central too. Camaro Central has been where I've been getting some stuff for my car lately though, pretty decent to deal with.

Oh......

Corvette...Corvette...Corvette...Corvette.........just for good measure :yay:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you all for your responses.  I repaired the wire with 2 terminals and heat shrink.  Thank you Joe for solving this riddle.  Most switches are NO or NC and I've not seen any that are Normally in the Middle!  LOL  The 2 wires into 1 makes sense now.  I looked around the intake manifold and I don't see any solenoid which is where it says that wire goes, so I don't know if I have TCS or not, but I put those wires back where I found them!!!!!!  Thank you Dennis for the link to the part but I don't have anything to plug that single end into.  I'm happy with my repair for now.  I thought it was a Water Temp Sensor till I found the Water Temp on the Driver Side head and it has the correct plug on it.  Single pole.  Have not looked for the oil pressure sensor yet.  I know it's around the oil filter on the side of the block or along the rear edge of the block.

You guys are GREAT!  Thanks EVERYONE!!!!

• Like 3