Fan shroud and tunnel staple

TheBMan

I had to get a new shroud which I have to mate with my old tunnel. Staples are used from the factory and I want to duplicate that method. I have no idea what type of staple gun to use to get this done. I'm guessing a normal staple gun won't have the oomph to get it done since it has to go through about 1/8" of plastic and there would be no closure mechanism to fold the staples over on the back side (although I could do that manually). Has anyone done this before or have any tips on staple guns? Pictures attached.

IMG_1578 (1).JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

Hey Bryan, i have done it before pretty simple however you might need more staples. Some of mine broke when bending them back over.   What i did was set the tunnel in the shroud (I blue taped it together as not to slip out as i worked on the other side). Starting from the top and worked half way around to the right then half way to the left because i ran out of staples and wanted the new staples on the bottom as not to be so noticeable. I drilled through the existing hole in the shroud through the tunnel, reinstalled the staple and peened it down with 2 hammers. Have fun, its not bad just bulky!!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, willie said:

Hey Bryan, i have done it before pretty simple however you might need more staples. Some of mine broke when bending them back over.   What i did was set the tunnel in the shroud (I blue taped it together as not to slip out as i worked on the other side). Starting from the top and worked half way around to the right then half way to the left because i ran out of staples and wanted the new staples on the bottom as not to be so noticeable. I drilled through the existing hole in the shroud through the tunnel, reinstalled the staple and peened it down with 2 hammers. Have fun, its not bad just bulky!!

Thanks Willie. I found these staples. I'll have them early next week and will provide an update after I get things put together.

@1970mcss

• Like 2

Thats Great Bryan but like i said put the new ones on the bottom. Just in case they are not the correct size or something foolish like that.  Can't wait to see it finished.

• Like 1

Okay guys, I finally got this done. I purchased staples (image attached) that I thought were the correct ones. Turns out they were not (these staples are for splash shields, etc). I contacted Corvette World based on a comment from @willie that I saw on this post. They were not very helpful and could not/did not know what I was talking about. I also checked with The Parts Place but had no luck. So I had to get creative and make my own staples, which I did. I found and used 1/16" steel rod (same as the original staples) and cut and bent all the staples I needed (about 20). Image attached. I carefully removed all of the old staples, paired the two halves of the shroud and secured it with blue tape, also per Willie's suggestion. I used a 1/16" drill bit to drill pilot holes and then tapped the staples into the holes and used a hammer and dolly to bend/secure the staples. Despite being only 1/16", this steel is quite stiff! Is it perfect? No, but I'm happy with the outcome. I will have the entire shroud assembly Cerakoted to restore the black finish. If you aren't aware, Cerakote is a process similar to powder coating except the baking process is done at a much lower temperature (powder coating is baked/cured at 400°, which would melt plastic). Cerakote is very durable as well.

As always, thanks for your help. You guys always come through and I'm very grateful! Hopefully this post will help someone in the future.

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

• Like 6

One more update on this... I used a 3" mini orbital polisher to clean and polish the plastic. I'm pretty happy with the outcome so I think I'll leave it alone rather than do the Cerakote.

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, TheBMan said:

One more update on this... I used a 3" mini orbital polisher to clean and polish the plastic. I'm pretty happy with the outcome so I think I'll leave it alone rather than do the Cerakote.

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

I think I’d leave it. It matches pretty good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheBMan said:

One more update on this... I used a 3" mini orbital polisher to clean and polish the plastic. I'm pretty happy with the outcome so I think I'll leave it alone rather than do the Cerakote

Looks good.

I think I used Axalta Trim Black on mine & am pretty happy with the result. Sort of a semi-gloss sheen to it.

• Like 2

Looks fantastic!. Professional job!. Just wondering if the steel would have bent a little easier being heated. At least it won’t rust either being stainless.