Burl dash insert

Tmac

Getting ready to set my Burl insert into the dash. Any tips? I was thinking of going with doubled sided tape but I am open to suggestions..... of course all the tabs are gone.20230502_172211.thumb.jpg.9147ba847f90b1bfa2b540146be50238.jpg

Ok so don’t laugh at this. But….  When I did mine ( blue dash too ) I epoxied a few roofing nails ( big head) to the back of the dash cover. I made sure that they aligned with the holes in the dash. Let them dry. Installed, used self cutting stud nuts on the nail and then cut the remainder of the nail off. Worked perfectly. Ok stop laughing you all. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

If all the tabs are missing, that sucks. They do a good job of keeping that thing in place. The factory used a real sticky type of product on the back side of the insert as well as the tabs, almost looked like black duct seal. 

You could maybe use 3M double sided tape to try & hold it on. They have different thicknesses of that tape that may work. Get their little packets of adhesion promotor as well. That stuff really helps hold that tape on very well.

EDIT: Or you could try what Dennis did. He posted while I was still typing.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Ok so don’t laugh at this. But….  When I did mine ( blue dash too ) I epoxied a few roofing nails ( big head) to the back of the dash cover. I made sure that they aligned with the holes in the dash. Let them dry. Installed, used self cutting stud nuts on the nail and then cut the remainder of the nail off. Worked perfectly. Ok stop laughing you all. 

I like it tho! That's some outside the box thinkin'!!

• Like 2

Thats Dennis, he is always thinking outside the/his box!!!   Lol i was thinking maybe Flex seal like on the commercial with them sealing the water all the time. Home Depot or Lowes i am sure they have it.

• Like 3

This is that adhesion promoter I mentioned earlier. There's a little applicator sponge soaked with the product in there. Makes that tape stick like glue 😄.

20230502_211629.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dtret said:

Ok, great ideas! I followed Dtret on this one. I used #6 machine screws, ground down the head a little,  instead of nails, but should work. My holes are wollered out so a washer, lock tite and nut should do the trick.20230503_111301.thumb.jpg.bc9da4a83be9321cb2f7cfb24f52961b.jpg

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Make sure you still put some silicone or tape in different spots around the insert. It will stop unnecessary rattling. 

I will. Thanks!