brake booster removal

I don't tend to watch youtube videos, so not much help there.

Removing the booster is pretty straight forward though. Basically remove the master cylinder, remove the clevis pin under the dash holding the rod to the brake pedal (there's a spring clip on it), and remove the 4 nuts holding it to the firewall. 

This snip from the service manual shows the pin in red, and the adjustment for the rod length in blue if needed.

brake booster.JPG

• Like 4

Most kits come with step by step instructions. I found most of the Youtube videos are generic and for newer cars, 

Just remember to set the end of the push rod to the correct depth once you re assemble it. You'll need a straight edge and a measuring rod ( like the one Hilti supplies with their hammer drills) to find the correct depth of the seat in the booster. Brian's tech tips (on you tube) uses a specialty tool you can buy to set it as well. 

(Setting brake push rod)

Good points Scott. I didn't want to complicate things right off the bat.

Instructions for the depth setting tool are in the link below. Typically, the gap should be set at 0.020".

Due to the diameter differences of the tool & booster rod, I double check the gap by looking down in the holes of the empty master cylinder, and verify the piston is fully retracted. You can test this on a bench too, since you'll have it out. If you can see any of that piston thru the holes in the bottom, that's bad. Also, push on that clevis rod end a bit, if you see no movement down that M/C hole until about (.020"), that's good. Sounds harder than it really is to do.

https://www.mpbrakes.com/images/MPB-F200-50.pdf

The tool is available from various suppliers, I ended up with this one. 

20230506_172338.jpg

20230506_172329.jpg

• Like 1