70 ss454 Questions

Joselk1

I need to replace my water pump on my original SS 454.  Any suggestions? Do people look for date coded, rebuilt water pumps? I need a clutch for the fan as well. Doesn’t have the correct quadrjet and could use a rebuild so I’d like to find an original that’s rebuilt. 

‘Thanks 

Unless you plan on restoring your car to concourse judging standards or are a stickler for numbers I would, and have purchased an aftermarket aluminum high flow water pump and painted it engine color. No one is the wiser.

As far as a replacement clutch for yours, same thoughts there also. I also recommend a heavy duty clutch with the spring in the center. 

Can't help you with the carb though. Check eBay. 

• Like 3

I’m a numbers guy for what I’m doing. The numbers correct parts are tough to find but they are out there. It really depends on what you’re planning for the car. Your water pump, if original, can be sent out and rebuilt. Most likely on the carb a rebuilt ready to go is going to be really tough but you can find a complete unit and then send it out to be restored. That’s going to be easier. 

• Like 5

Like the others have said it depends on what your plans are for the car. If your going for the dated stuff look to see when your engine was built so it gives you a idea on what date coded parts to look for. The correct dates and part number part can get expensive if you find them.

• Like 2