Looking for Advice on Repairs

GoGreen70MC

Hello All, 

I am starting to get some leakage behind my 70’s master cylinder.  Both the master cylinder and booster are original to the car and I am looking to replace both. From searching around on the forum, I have seen there are a number of good sources to find repros and rebuilt originals to match my car. My problem is I am not mechanically inclined in the slightest and I don’t feel comfortable replacing components myself that are directly related to a major driving function. 

Does anyone know mechanics or businesses in SE Michigan that do repair work on classic cars? Through my own searching, I have found a number of “restoration” businesses that do not seem very keen on taking on smaller jobs like this. It seems it is harder to find people that still do general maintenance on classics. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Conrad 

Best source of info like that is to go to your local cruise nights and talk to car guys. I can pretty much say for certain that someone in the group knows a place to get your car worked on. Car guys always seem to help each other out. 

• Like 2

Leo Konink of Koninks Klassics . He is in our Parts Resource section of our website. If he can't help, he will give you a confident repair shop for your 1st Gen Monte. I know he does repairs on these. I believe he's just south of Port Huron. Went there years ago and purchased the "new" Rear bumper they were selling at the time (2005). Give him a call, well worth it.gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2588.jpg

• Like 2

Send the car to me and I will be more than happy to replace them for you. Unfortunately that doesn't make sense for you to do. Wish you were closer. ☹️

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Send the car to me and I will be more than happy to replace them for you. 

I have plenty of work for you to do, and I'm closer 😁.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Send the car to me and I will be more than happy to replace them for you. Unfortunately that doesn't make sense for you to do. Wish you were closer. ☹️

I think it would make it out there, but roundtrip is about how much I drive it a year. 😏

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely give Leo a call next week. Have a good weekend everyone.  

Conrad 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, GoGreen70MC said:

Hello All, 

I am starting to get some leakage behind my 70’s master cylinder.  Both the master cylinder and booster are original to the car and I am looking to replace both. From searching around on the forum, I have seen there are a number of good sources to find repros and rebuilt originals to match my car. My problem is I am not mechanically inclined in the slightest and I don’t feel comfortable replacing components myself that are directly related to a major driving function. 

Does anyone know mechanics or businesses in SE Michigan that do repair work on classic cars? Through my own searching, I have found a number of “restoration” businesses that do not seem very keen on taking on smaller jobs like this. It seems it is harder to find people that still do general maintenance on classics. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Conrad 

Where are you located in SE MI? I am in Canton and there are a few places around here.

Honestly, I'm surprised your local Chevy Dealership can't do this job for you.  They still work on cars there don't they?  It is a Chevrolet isn't it?  Just sayin'............... I bet you could get the parts yourself and take them to the dealership and one of the mechanics there could do the job for a few hours labor.  Wouldn't hurt to talk to the service manager.  Unless he's a dick.  Am I allowed to say that?  DOH!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NavyCPO said:

Honestly, I'm surprised your local Chevy Dealership can't do this job for you.  They still work on cars there don't they?  It is a Chevrolet isn't it?  Just sayin'............... I bet you could get the parts yourself and take them to the dealership and one of the mechanics there could do the job for a few hours labor.  Wouldn't hurt to talk to the service manager.  

Worth a shot, but you'd need to find a tech that's old enough to have the experience of working on stuff like that. At my local Chevy dealer, there are a few guys that fit that bill (they're also my friends too, though), but it's hit or miss. 

Some of the younger ones wouldn't even know what a carburetor looks like, lol.

You also get this too.... (screenshot of the video they sent me).

Screenshot_20230516_040840_Video Player.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

Worth a shot, but you'd need to find a tech that's old enough to have the experience of working on stuff like that. At my local Chevy dealer, there are a few guys that fit that bill (they're also my friends too, though), but it's hit or miss. 

They were just trying to burp the cooling system. Air to the highest point. Lol. 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Dtret said:

They were just trying to burp the cooling system. Air to the highest point. Lol. 

The guy didn't take into account that it was very back-heavy, with all the equipment they carry for EMS.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, GoGreen70MC said:

@Royals71 I am only 30 miles from Canton, so not a bad drive at all for me. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. 

Conrad 

Warren Sheldon Mobil auto care (734)459-6366

Ford rd auto care (734)459-9800

20 hours ago, jft69z said:

Oh My!