700R4 Transmission Removal.

Whons

I am going to be removing the 700r4 from my 70 Monte to put in a new higher stall torque converter. Can you get at all the bolts from below with the car on a lift? Then what is the best way to support the 350 engine? Can you support it with another another jack under the oil pan? My TV cable is properly adjusted now. When I remove it from the transmission, if I clamp the link that the hook on the end of the cable goes into, and reconnect it when the transmission is mounted back in, I would think that the TV cable will still be adjusted properly. I had paid to have the TV cable adjusted when I got the car about a year ago.  Thanks, Wayne

I have everything here to pull the trans out Wayne, no worries. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jft69z said:

I have everything here to pull the trans out Wayne, no worries. 

I bet you do, and the engine, and the rest of the drive train, interior, wheels tires, Wheel balancer, tire machine, alignment rack, LOL  Why wouldn't you just disconnect the TV cable from the carburetor linkage and fish it out with the tranny?  Maybe I don't understand 700r4's.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NavyCPO said:

I bet you do, and the engine, and the rest of the drive train, interior, wheels tires, Wheel balancer, tire machine, alignment rack, LOL  Why wouldn't you just disconnect the TV cable from the carburetor linkage and fish it out with the tranny?  Maybe I don't understand 700r4's.

No alignment or tire machines, I just go up the street to the Chevy dealer where a bunch of my buddies work and use their equipment. They treat me real good over there, and the service manager has been trying to get me to work there for years, lol. They're supposed to send a CTS-V engine over in a week or two that a customer bought in Florida, it blew up after 10 miles, and has been there for weeks waiting on parts & for the selling dealer to pay for the repairs. My one buddy that worked on it is out on disability now with a bad back, so the plan they came up with is to put it back together here. Should be a fun little job, though it's a big box of parts right now, lol. I'll take a few pics if it works out that way.

That's my plan as far as the TV cable, remove it from the carb and pull it with the trans, easy.

• Like 1

Joe You have to disconnect the TV cable at the transmission on a 700r4 because of the way its mounted with a special bracket at the carb. That's where it is adjusted and the bracket is mounted on 2 of the intake manifold bolts, and the adjusting portion is fixed within the bracket. you can't disturb that cable at the carb. the TV cable has a hook on the end that hooks to a link in the transmission. You clamp the link so it stays in place and tie the cable out of the way. That way you won't lose the adjustment. I'll send you some pictures later.  Wayne.

All you have to do is disconnect the TV cable from the carb. You do not touch the adjustment at the bracket at all. Once you do that you can just unbolt the cable from the transmission, lift the cable out, which will have slack now, pull up which will expose the wire rod going to the "kick down" remove the cable end and let the rod go back into the trans. It will be slightly above the cable hole. To reinstall reverse the procedure, lift the wire , reconnect the TV cable end and bolt back in. 

Option 2 you can drop the pan, and remove the assy from there.  

Option 3 would be disconnect the TV cable from the carb, pop it out of the bracket, you do not disturb the adjustment and remove the trans with the cable still installed, swap the converter and reinstall.  

• Thank You! 1

Thanks for the info. I thought after removing the TV cable at the transmission the link would fall back into the transmission and I was going to have to clamp it  I was going to use a small vise grips with some layers of tape on the jaws. The rest I understand. 

15 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

All you have to do is disconnect the TV cable from the carb. You do not touch the adjustment at the bracket at all. Once you do that you can just unbolt the cable from the transmission, lift the cable out, which will have slack now, pull up which will expose the wire rod going to the "kick down" remove the cable end and let the rod go back into the trans. It will be slightly above the cable hole. To reinstall reverse the procedure, lift the wire , reconnect the TV cable end and bolt back in. 

Option 2 you can drop the pan, and remove the assy from there.  

Option 3 would be disconnect the TV cable from the carb, pop it out of the bracket, you do not disturb the adjustment and remove the trans with the cable still installed, swap the converter and reinstall.  

That's what I thought.  Option 3 would be the easiest in my mind.  Torque converter swap just have to drop the tranny back enough to swap out the converter and leave the cable attached then pop the tranny back up and reattach the TV cable.  As I recall the adjustment is on the cable itself and the bracket just holds the collar in place.  Thanks for clearing that up.

• Like 3

Dale, You would have to see it, but option 1 removing at the transmission would be the best. you don' want to lose the position of the adjustment.  Here's some pictures.   Wayne

20221006_092110.jpg

20230516_080507.jpg

TV cable.jpg

• Like 2

Isn't the adjustment on the cable on the back side of the bracket locked in by that orange/red button?  And the Metal Collar is just securing it to the bracket right?  I still don't see how you'd be changing the adjustment of the cable???  It may be easier to just disconnect it at the transmission as you say, but I'd hate to have that hook fall back into the tranny and have to fish it out or drop the pan just to change the TQ Converter.  But I'm sure you'll you know your car better than I do.  Are you going to get Joe to help you with the TQ Conv swap too or just the A/C stuff?

12 minutes ago, NavyCPO said:

Are you going to get Joe to help you with the TQ Conv swap too or just the A/C stuff?

We're hoping to do the A/C first, then the TQ swap after that, as long as we don't run into any troubles with the A/C.

As far as the TV cable, I'm not worried about it. See what it looks like in person, then deal with it on the fly, no big deal. No plans to fool with the adjustment unless needed.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NavyCPO said:

When are you guys going to tackle this?

Maybe next week. C'mon over, bring work clothes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dale, Joe is going to help me with the torque converter after the AC. I'm confident now with the TV cable, just popping it off the ball on carb. link and removing a 10 mm bolt that holds the cable housing to the transmission, then pulling up on the cable, it will have some slack and take the hook out of the link, we'll keep the link from falling back into the transmission. see my diagram fig.1.  We won't loose any adjustment. Then with the new torque converter I won't lose about 700 rpm when I drop it in gear. I WILL BE SO HAPPY!!!!!     Wayne

• Like 2