BBC oil pan removal....engine in car

LS65Speed

Anyone done this? I am running a stock Corvette 65 / 74 oil pan, it has a larger rear sump area than the stock MC BBC pan but the area immediately above the frame crossmember appears close dimensionally to the stock BBC pan. I am already aware of the need to disconnect motor mounts, exhaust pipes and remove the distrib. and rotate the crank weights more concerned with if this is even possible? If you have done this, even with a stock BBC pan or and aftermarket pan, please state what pan you are talking about. Also interested in how far up the front of the motor had to be lifted. 

Any shared experiences appreciated

Scott,

That's only the SBC that has that type of timing cover. 

The BB bolts up against the timing cover without any tabs, just the oil pan gasket itself seals up the oil pan to the block and timing cover.

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

I've never done this on a BBC in a Monte. I've done this 2 times with my  SBC. I used short pieces of 2 x4 on engine pads. Remove Distributor, Fan Blade, Shroud, exhaust that bolts to manifold (or take headers off). You may have to use a 1" spacer on top of the2x4 piece because of the shape of the pan. I like the idea of more fluid in the pan ( 1quart?) . Had one on my SBC in a '55 Chevy pickup. I used a wood block on the crankshaft pulley to raise the block. Hope this helps.

• Like 3

On 5/16/2023 at 11:47 AM, 420ponies said:

I've never done this on a BBC in a Monte. I've done this 2 times with my  SBC. I used short pieces of 2 x4 on engine pads. Remove Distributor, Fan Blade, Shroud, exhaust that bolts to manifold (or take headers off). You may have to use a 1" spacer on top of the2x4 piece because of the shape of the pan. I like the idea of more fluid in the pan ( 1quart?) . Had one on my SBC in a '55 Chevy pickup. I used a wood block on the crankshaft pulley to raise the block. Hope this helps.

Appreciate the reply. I am thinking the SBC should be a bit easier as far as the width of the SBC versus the SBC. Lifting vertically is likely the same effort more or less but there is a lot more room around the A/C evaporator housing with the SBC. Seems like daylight has trouble getting between the passenger side BBC valve cover  / head and the evap housing ! LOL