master cylinder

So my master cylinder went out, ordered a new one from autozone. Ordered a NM1494 cause it looked like my original. Supposed to be new. got one that looks like the picture of a M1494, which is rebuilt. I think their website has the wrong pictures, I think what I got would work, but I want to make sure I got what I paid for. Anyone with experience with this?

20230519_194328.jpg

20230519_183000.jpg

I found mine on Rock Auto. Just had to reuse the little hold off valve that goes to the front brakes. put it in with a new power brake booster. works well looks just like original.

• Like 1

So that master cylinder wrong, bad or both. Got a different one that is correct. Took a long time to get system bled out, but now I got firm pedal but little brakes. Diagnosed it to bad power booster. Can I get booster out without disconnecting master cylinder again. Reeeealy don't want to bleed it again.

You should be able to unbolt the master cylinder and carefully get the booster out and bolt the master cylinder bolted back on. I haven't done it but I think I read somewhere it could be done. Someone please confirm

9 hours ago, smokinquack said:

yes I did bench bleed it. Defanetly have firm peddle.  Car was idling rough when I test drove, turns out its cause I have a massive vacuum leak from my power booster. 

That will definitely cause a problem. Glad you found the easy fix, it generally doesn’t work that way for me. 

10 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Glad you found the easy fix, it generally doesn’t work that way for me. 

Me either.

Just finished up this project, took the wiper motor off and the hood off to gain access. Running good, stopping good, Speedway motors had my parts, they used to be more of a race car shop but they have what I need for my Monte so big shout out to them. If you are ever in Lincoln NE check out their museum, it is super cool. First cars and coffee this morning there, I drove the monte (without hood)