Cruise Control Module

NavyCPO

So I took the cruise control module off today to look at the transmission side input and see if there was a broken off piece of the cable tip in there and check to see if the transmission side input turned the speedometer side output.  No broken off piece.  Yes the lower input did turn the upper output, however it seemed like it took considerable resistance to turn it.  I expected it to turn freely and smoothly but it doesn't.  It turns but it feels tight and there is not a clean square port on the bottom like there is on the top.  It's like it may have become stiff and worn out the keyway in the lower input.  I can see the square down in the unit but there isn't any at the front of the opening.  (See Picture)  I'm thinking this cruise control module may be bad and either broke the transmission cable tip or wore out the square input on the cruise control module.  Anyone know a good source for a Cruise Control Module for a '70 Monte?  I thought I saw one on rock auto but can't seem to find it now.  There are reman's or refurbished on Ebay for 189 but I don't know if I trust a refurbished one from somebody's garage.  I need to get my speedometer working asap.  I do see a cruise control eliminator for like $49 that I may go ahead and enlist until I can either find a new cruise control module or may have to go with a refurbished one. The first photo you can see the square is way down in the hole, where as on the top cable the insert comes all the way to the opening.  Is the bottom one rounded out or is my cable just too short and broken off tip?  I don't know.  I shot some oil down the holes and spun it a few times to try and loosen it up some, but it still feels like it should be more free to me and nice and smooth, but maybe not.  I don't know what's in there.  

20230523_173754.jpg

20230523_173820.jpg

20230517_182211.jpg

20230517_182148.jpg