Motors

Chris shipley

I had a sb400 in my 71 caprice I loved that motor so much I pulled it out and saved it when I junked the car. I still have the bare block for some project some day. Was 400 with 2 barrel it would push that car down the road at 130 mph all day long. Only problem with them is you gotta have the heads with steam holes or it will overheat.

• Like 3

On 5/24/2023 at 8:03 PM, Chris shipley said:

Anyones opinion and preference...  350 vs 400 

There's no replacement for displacement!  Period.

Yup, LS would be fun. If you have a 350 crankshaft, you can swap it and make a 377 cu.in. These are high RPM motors and make lots of HP with very little work. Cam And cylinder heads make all the difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NavyCPO said:

There's no replacement for displacement!  Period.

In our cars I’ll agree. But life in general says no. 1000 hp out of 4 cylinder engines is not uncommon anymore. Technology is where it’s at now. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dtret said:

In our cars I’ll agree. But life in general says no. 1000 hp out of 4 cylinder engines is not uncommon anymore. Technology is where it’s at now. 

What kind of torque is that 1000 HP 4 cylinder engine going to make??  I'd be curious to see the specs on that.  If you take that same technology and apply it to the bigger displacement engine, I'd bet your result would be 2000 HP or whatever ratio would match the displacement difference.  And I bet the torque would be much higher too.  But I get your drift................

My brother had what started life as a 2300 4 cyl Ford engine which is now bored and stroaked to 2700. The engine builder said with the right set up will turn 8000 rpm all day long. He got the right head intake and header and carbs so I'm curious to see what it will do. It's going into a 27 Ford coupe,  should be a fun car. Got 4.11 gears in rear because he couldn't find any higher. Not sure of hp or torque but should be fun. But yes the LS motors are great I have a 6.0 gas in my truck runs great.

This is an “ argument “ that can go both ways and never end. There really is no right or wrong answer. Application is key. If you’re putting a 1000 hp small block in a civic torque is inconsequential, it really isn’t moving any weight. If you’re putting 1000 hp 4 cyl in out Monte’s, good luck moving that boat. This is the game that has gone on for decades and will until we can’t buy fuel anymore. How do you add torque and horsepower to a battery?  Lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grant MacPherson said:

Depends on what you like to hear, the mosquito whine or the beast rumble. The beast always wins for me.

Absolutely, no doubt.