Putting Monte away for the winter months

420ponies

Hi, I'm putting up the Monte for the winter since they have salted my road(why?).Yes,we did have some bad weather here but not that bad to salt the road!!.So I'd like to know what to do so I don't have problems in the Spring.Fuel tank is full,battery tender is hooked up,tires are off floor on 2"x12" wood pads.Anything else? I don't know if I should put fuel additive in or just start it up once in awhile.Any help would be greatly appreciated.As for list of things to do this winter;New alumiunm radiator,new edelbrock fuel pump and braided line to carb.& replace rear bumper with new(KLASSIK'S) or replated from tri-city plating.

If your replating that bumper, get on it quick, I think I waited about 10 weeks for mine!

I dont even go as far as you with storing mine for the winter, but I do put the fuel additive in. Ive heard that gas starts to go bad after a month, starting the car wont help with that. I dont know if its true or not, but it cant hurt thats the way I look at it.

If there is a chance of mice, stuff some steel wool in the end of the tailpipes, that will keep them out of there.

What does the 2 X 12 pieces of wood do? Just curious. Ive heard to put the car up off the tires, but leave the weight on the suspension, and is that really needed for a short time like over the winter?

Bounty dryer sheets are best to keep mice away, I use them in my Motorhome, My garage is sealed up good & never had any mice but also never have any food in there. I use Fogging oil in engine & never restart engine & stabil in tank also fesh oil change & 40 lbs of air in tires.

I have stored my 72 monte during the winter 5-6 months for 31 years here is my method

1. pull car in a nice dry rodent free garage

2. remove battery

3. close door

problems i have had 1 carb rebuild after 15 years

this is considered short term storage

if you plan on storing the car for 6 months plus you will need to fog the motor etc

but i have let some of my cars set for years and still had no major problems

Leo