Power steering pump

Tmac

I bought a new power steering pump and pully. I have it installed and washers between the mounting bracket and pump and I still can't get it to line up with the crank pully. About half a groove off. The pulls slide right on but, seems like it is bottomed out on the shaft. Any ideas?

20230530_105604.thumb.jpg.33a6a7226d6ceb814ed01c5c17e5418c.jpg20230530_105557.thumb.jpg.63919b53b3aa8aa7f136032ba7ec3606.jpg

37 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Have you tried the single groove pump pulley ? It may be matched to the crank pulley you're using. 

No, I took a double off and I plan on putting the AC back in.

Put the water pump pulley on and see if it lines up with one of the others. 

If it lines up with the crank pulley, you know the p/s is off. If it lines up with the p/s pulley you know the crank pulley is off. 

Try that first and let us know the results. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Put the water pump pulley on and see if it lines up with one of the others. 

If it lines up with the crank pulley, you know the p/s is off. If it lines up with the p/s pulley you know the crank pulley is off. 

Try that first and let us know the results. 

The alt/waterpump pully line up great. I'm sure it's the p/ s pully just don't know why. It seems like it's on all the way, as in bottomed on the shaft, But doesn't look like it looking at the bolts. As snomobeelr pics show.20230531_075854.thumb.jpg.200f83bee55036cf3bc2799b854812ce.jpg

12 hours ago, snomobeelr said:

Maybe its the angle of your picture but it looks like the P/S pully is not on all the way?  Heres mine

PS pump .jpg

Mine definitely looks farther away than yours.

UPDATE: I found the old cracked pully and measured the backspacing definitely different. Again I took the hard route to find it out!  LOL. Now I'm in search of the right one. 20230531_082546.thumb.jpg.e7d9d066b47a489ad1cf9e05164588b2.jpg20230531_082516.thumb.jpg.56e574b63e8a9baf2156187869089a54.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 8:28 PM, NavyCPO said:

Glad you found the problem.  So the one you need is 1.098?

1.3 is the one I needed. Found it at The Parts Place. Works good now. The belt is on the wrong groove but its just to test the line up.20230612_143647.thumb.jpg.79c894c4c06b4ef14fe920bbf44e2589.jpg

• Like 1

Terry, I posted a question on your FB post about a spacer on the front face of the pump. What year is it, and is part number 10 on the below diagram there? (it could be an easy one to forget to install and maybe cause alignment problems, just a thought).

Having to space it out with washers like on your FB pic isn't normal.

P-S brackets1 72.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Maybe it's just the angle or not on all the way or my eyes but do them pullys line up ok? My ac pully was off a little but was always ok.

My eyes are old, lol, but looks like it is lined up Ok. Might be a little off but  as close as I can get it and way  better than it was.    I think the true test will be when I get the ac compressor on, and see how it all lines up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

Terry, I posted a question on your FB post about a spacer on the front face of the pump. What year is it, and is part number 10 on the below diagram there? (it could be an easy one to forget to install and maybe cause alignment problems, just a thought).

Having to space it out with washers like on your FB pic isn't normal.

P-S brackets1 72.JPG

I agree about it not being normal. I also had a thought about the water pump mount, where that bolt # 8 goes in. If that casting was just a little thicker or moved towards the front a 1/4 inch. Just a thought. I'm reluctant to grind on the water pump to move the ps pump back towards the block in fear of not getting it square. Then the pickle I'd be in🤷. Any thoughts? 

8 minutes ago, Tmac said:

I agree about it not being normal. I also had a thought about the water pump mount, where that bolt # 8 goes in. If that casting was just a little thicker or moved towards the front a 1/4 inch. Just a thought. I'm reluctant to grind on the water pump to move the ps pump back towards the block in fear of not getting it square. Then the pickle I'd be in🤷. Any thoughts? 

I was thinking about that water pump mounting boss as well. Do you have any old water pumps laying around to measure from the block mounting surface to the front of the p/s mounting area? If that's off, well, that is an obvious problem.

Most of what I have here is big block stuff, but may have one on a 350 LT1 I have under the stairs in the basement. I'll check in a bit, it's buried pretty deep 😁.

10 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I was thinking about that water pump mounting boss as well. Do you have any old water pumps laying around to measure from the block mounting surface to the front of the p/s mounting area? If that's off, well, that is an obvious problem.

Most of what I have here is big block stuff, but may have one on a 350 LT1 I have under the stairs in the basement. I'll check in a bit, it's buried pretty deep 😁.

I got one in the  scrap heap. Just need to head out there and dig it up. I'll try and do that this morning.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tmac said:

I got one in the  scrap heap. Just need to head out there and dig it up. I'll try and do that this morning.

Mine is really buried....deep. If you can't find one, let me know and I'll dig it out.

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

Mine is really buried....deep. If you can't find one, let me know and I'll dig it out.

Ok, thanks!