Design flaw for Old Air Products POA update kit.

NavyCPO

So I finally got off my butt today and got busy on the car again.  Finished up putting the brakes together, went smoothly. Then I tore into the HVAC Box on the firewall.  Much to my surprise it was not as bad as I was thinking it was going to be.  It wasn't easy, with the fender well still in but it wasn't that bad.  Got the new evaporator installed and the new POA Valve and this time everything went together fairly nicely.  However........................... The Old Air Products POA Eliminator has all of the ports except for the expansion valve port, lined up all in a straight row.  This is a problem because to get the oil bleed line to connect you have to turn it to a certain position and then the service port and the switch are facing outward.  

On Joes Monte he got his POA Eliminator from Original Air Group and theirs is different and has the service port 90' from the other 2 ports, which allows you to point the switch down and leaves the service port at about a perfect 45' angle for servicing and without interference from the big line.  

Mine all three are lined up outboard and causes the service port to be very close to the big line and the switch gets in the way of the hood spring.  You can't point the switch and service port up because 1. there is not enough hood clearance and 2. then the oil bleed line would be out of position.  Did these designers ever actually install one of these????  I was able to bend the pipes and pry and rotate at different angles the POA Eliminator and push the thing away from the hood spring and it just barely clears.  I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if the spring is chaffing the wires and I hope when I go to get it service up, they can get the service port connected.  Not 100% happy with this install, but it is what it is.  I may go back and order the Original Air Group POA Eliminator at a later time but for now, it's done. https://www.originalair.com/gm-ac-poa-delete-kit-15-51

The last photo is a photo of Joes setup that he sent to me.  As you can see his is a different configuration and makes it easy to clear everything and keep the service port UP for servicing.

20230530_162051.jpg

20230530_164621.jpg

20230530_164637.jpg

20230530_202047.jpg

20230530_202127.jpg

image26068.jpg

• Like 5

Well done Dale. Remember that it’s hard to compare anything with Joe. He has the knowledge and mindset to cut something like that apart and braze it back together to make what he wants. Most of us( me included) cannot do that. Great job nonetheless and I hope it works well. 

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 2