Will a 72 olds 350 engine fan blade fit my 350?

astrochimp

Getting RID of the flex fan and going back to the Ol metal blade fan. When it's hot out, temp creeps up bigtime at stop lights.  I installed a new aluminum radiator but I'm certain i'm Not getting the airflow at a stop. 

Saw a local 72 olds 350 fan blade on FB marketplace....is that the same bolt pattern & width for my 70, chevy 350?

🍻

the 350 and the BB use the same shroud, so I am assuming they use the same fan blade.  I believe the fan blade is part #3947772 and there is also a fan blade #3976064 .  I think the fan clutch is "Haden #2747" . You would have to see the part number on the fan blade. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, snomobeelr said:

the 350 and the BB use the same shroud, so I am assuming they use the same fan blade.  I believe the fan blade is part #3947772 and there is also a fan blade #3976064 .  I think the fan clutch is "Haden #2747" . You would have to see the part number on the fan blade. 

Alan,

I believe the small vs big block engines use different fan shrouds as per these pictures:

MC Fan shroud pic2.jpg

MC Fan shroud pic1.jpg

• Like 1

If you're using the four bladed fan, according to OPGI, the bolt patterns (holes) are elongated so that they are interchangeable between G.M. models. 

If you're talking about the fan like the one pictured. 

Just make sure to get a diameter that fits, as there are 4 sizes. 

72 fan.jpg

Jason,

I added a 1971 or 72 Camaro FLEX fan to my 71 350 Monte back in 72 and at a slow speed stop and go cruise like the 
Woodward Dream Cruise, my engine does run hotter, according to the stock OEM gauge, but it has not yet overheated in 52 years. 

(Yes, I just jinxed it!!!)

On 6/7/2023 at 1:07 PM, astrochimp said:

Getting RID of the flex fan and going back to the Ol metal blade fan. When it's hot out, temp creeps up bigtime at stop lights.  I installed a new aluminum radiator but I'm certain i'm Not getting the airflow at a stop. 

Saw a local 72 olds 350 fan blade on FB marketplace....is that the same bolt pattern & width for my 70, chevy 350?

🍻

I’ll do my best to answer the question you asked. I checked part numbers on year one and opgi website. According to their part numbers, the Oldsmobile fan blade will fit. But it is an 18 inch fan six blade. I cannot remember the diameter of the Monte Carlo 350 fan blade. So to answer your question yes, it will physically fit according to year one and opgi. Requires a fan clutch. I would make sure the diameter is correct. According to those two websites, they both call for an 18 inch blade. I hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

I have no idea why I didn't just post a PIC of the acutal fan for sale. I should ask for him to measure diameter. 

I tried a couple things to see if my 'flexfan' would work better at stop lights in HOT weather....it's just not moving enough air. Gotta try solid metal blades again I'm guessin.

PHOTO of fan 4 sale. 

THANKS FOR THE INFO POSTED HERE!!!! :2beers:

330801486_5854105007977953_5941695152244593357_n.jpg

I have a 6 blade flex fan on my SBC . The blades are 3 3/4" wide by 6" in length. Bought on EBay years ago. It pulls air all day! Never overheated in traffic or anywhere else for that matter. Blades are Stainless steel, body is steel construction . I need someone to get the picture up for me. Might need some schooling on how to do it. This fan has is about an 1/8" inch from hitting shrould, so solid motor mounts are required!gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2589.jpg

On 8/1/2023 at 11:27 AM, 420ponies said:

I have a 6 blade flex fan on my SBC . The blades are 3 3/4" wide by 6" in length. Bought on EBay years ago. It pulls air all day! Never overheated in traffic or anywhere else for that matter.

It's very interesting how threads trigger things.....

I had the thought....maybe just take a light and do a full inspection. I have a 6 blade flex fan and alumimun radiator so should be somewhat good airflow. 

The ALUminum radiator is thinner than stock...so there's a significant GAP on both sides between radiator and shroud.

Guess where all the air is being pulled in from? Going to correct this issue and see how it goes afterwards

🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻