fuel pump to carburettor line - how to fit inline filter?

trying to fix suspected vapor lock. I want to fit a 3 way filter close to the quadrajet, so I have to bypass the metal fuel line. Also fitting a small inline fuel pressure gauge. I'm confused trying to figure out the various fittings, so many options! Can anyone confirm the thread size for the fuel pump and carb inlets?

I think fuel pump inlet is 7/8 inch x20 threads female 

and the quadrajet fuel inlet is 5/8 inch x18 threads female 

is this correct?

I have to order these parts from the States, so I can't just bring the metal line down to my local motor factors!

Thanks

Not sure why you feel you need a fuel pressure guage most stock or light modified engines don't need them. I used a k&n in line fuel filter on mine. The line is either 3/8 or 5/16 on mine it is between the fuel pump and carb near the carb. I can't get to the car to get a picture right now but here is a picture of the filter. I got it from Amazon they list it now for $8.50 it works well. Never use a plastic fuel filter use either glass or metal. And remember there is also a filter in the carb to (or is supposed to be) that is the large nut on the carb.

Screenshot_20230609_084200_Chrome.jpg

Some will simply cut the metal fuel line and have short rubber lines clamped on with the filter in between. I personally just use the factory filter in the carb for all the Montes I’ve had and don’t have an issue.

• Like 1

Paul,

You could always just cut the metal tube, re use the threaded ends and the few inches of the tube with the flair, and go with rubber tubing (fuel safe) and clamps to plumb the fuel lines. 

Just like the old days. 

Scott

2 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Paul,

You could always just cut the metal tube, re use the threaded ends and the few inches of the tube with the flair, and go with rubber tubing (fuel safe) and clamps to plumb the fuel lines. 

Just like the old days. 

Scott

lha12.jpg

I don’t know if I want to cut the original line. Feels a bit permanent! I think it’s the ethanol making the fuel boil, but also the line is so close to the block it’s actually touching at one point. Not ideal (see photo). Ok research I think it’s actually  7/8 inch x 20 fuel inlet till 1971, 1 inch after 72.

https://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp?Number=7042202

IMG_7422.thumb.jpeg.548ee90d45bba0d235381264550722c7.jpeg

You could always order a completely new steel line to replace it..... Or order thread by clamp fittings and run the whole thing in hose. 

If I remember right, I believe it's a 3/8" NPT thread, which is a 18/per inch pitch. And tapered. 

But I'm getting old.... Memory slips from time to time. ;)

1 hour ago, Scott S. said:

If I remember right, I believe it's a 3/8" NPT thread, which is a 18/per inch pitch. And tapered. 

But I'm getting old.... Memory slips from time to time. ;)

They don't use tapered NPT (National Pipe Thread) fittings for fuel lines. The fuel line itself is 3/8", but the fitting that is coming out of that fuel pump in the picture above is an inverted flare (SAE J512). That flared junction is the sealing surface, unlike a NPT tapered thread which uses that taper to seal. Don't use Teflon tape or thread sealant on an inverted flare fitting either, it's pointless.

The thread pitch for a 3/8 inverted flare fitting is:  5/8-18, which is a straight thread pitch.

Also, for fuel and brake lines, you're going to want a double flare on the tubing end as well.

Scroll down to 'Inverted Flare' in the links below for this conversation, but a lot of good reference info in general.

https://www.titanfittings.com/us-thread-chart_a/342.htm

https://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/Fitting-Thread-Chart-s/1934.htm

Found this chart too:

thread sized.jpg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Joe that's a whole lot of information there, I guess I didn't realize there was that many different fittings. Glad our cars just use a couple of them 🤣

Newer cars expand on that with a whole slew of different styles for brake, fuel, hydraulic and EVAP lines. Don't forget the 45 degree, and 37 degree AN, banjo, O-ring Boss, metric bubble, and push connect fittings too. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

OK I could buy a spare 'fuel pump to carb' steel line and customize it, but the open end won't be barbed to hold the hose properly, so I think plan A is to get an inverted flare fitting.

Check out this, it looks like it would fit both carb and pump, but do I need a section of double flared line to go inside, and act as a kind of washer?

51f57MioOL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.b90c6510bc5f57c4585c17167681706a.jpg

Brass Straight Tube Fitting, 3/8" Hose x 5/8"-18 Male Inverted Flare Swivel Straight Brass

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BH74JOC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

or this: Edelmann 821660

Inverted Flare to Hose Barb, Straight, Brass, Natural, 5/8-18 in. 

edd-821660.jpg.8587f38e7c59c530e5e10ac6ea0bbde5.jpg

Either one of those will screw into the fuel pump or carb fitting with nothing additional needed.

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

I've been connecting NTP threads to fuel lines for decades on diesel generators, and other than teflon taping the threads, I've never had any issues.... As long as it's not the flared ended tubing being used. Pre made braided hoses or clamped fuel lines are approved by the equipment supplier. 

Dorman carries a variety of fittings just for this application.

On 6/9/2023 at 5:02 PM, jft69z said:

They don't use tapered NPT (National Pipe Thread) fittings for fuel lines. The fuel line itself is 3/8", but the fitting that is coming out of that fuel pump in the picture above is an inverted flare (SAE J512). That flared junction is the sealing surface, unlike a NPT tapered thread which uses that taper to seal. Don't use Teflon tape or thread sealant on an inverted flare fitting either, it's pointless.

The thread pitch for a 3/8 inverted flare fitting is:  5/8-18, which is a straight thread pitch.

Also, for fuel and brake lines, you're going to want a double flare on the tubing end as well.

Scroll down to 'Inverted Flare' in the links below for this conversation, but a lot of good reference info in general.

https://www.titanfittings.com/us-thread-chart_a/342.htm

https://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/Fitting-Thread-Chart-s/1934.htm

Found this chart too:

thread sized.jpg

On 6/10/2023 at 10:11 AM, jft69z said:

Either one of those will screw into the fuel pump or carb fitting with nothing additional needed.

Dorman 492-006.1.jpg

2 hours ago, Scott S. said:

I've been connecting NTP threads to fuel lines for decades on diesel generators, and other than teflon taping the threads, I've never had any issues....

I worked in the chemical industry for a lot of years, with a lot of nasty stuff. We tended to use the right fittings in the right place, without exception. 

If you're saying you mated a male NPT thread with a female NPT thread, then yes, a wrap and a half or two of teflon tape is correct.

In the above case with Paul's fuel line, using a tapered NPT fitting in the fuel pumps straight threaded port as you suggested, is not correct.

• Like 1

For our cars gm used double flare fittings for that line. No exception. If you try to use a NPT tapered fitting two things will happen. You’re going to bottom it out or you’re going to get it started and it will start to stress ( swell) the part you’re attaching it to ( carb inlet or fuel pump). If you’re starting with an NPT hole then yes as in the case of a water temperature sender or oil pressure sender. I have seen NPT fittings used in wrong applications. Can it be done, yes but I wouldn’t. With proper negotiation skills you can put a square peg in a round hole but it’s so much easier to use the correct parts needed for the application. 

• Like 2