Back Up

stangeba

Everyone is told to back up their computer regularly or you could lose many hours of work or worse, pictures of your Monte Carlo. The questions or recommendations I need (and I assume others here will benefit also)are:

How do I back up my computer?

What exactly should I back up?

Where should I back it up to?

When or how ofter should I back up?

The Who is me (with your help).

I see XP-pro has a BU tool and I used it one time to back up files to my WD external HD. Now on that HD there is one file labeled (Backup_Aug25_2008.bkf). What do I do with that if it's needed?

Thanks,

Bruce

Allan,

Only took 20 minutes, not painful at all.

One more question, I backed up the C drive, does that include items on my desktop like folders with pictures in it and "MY DOCUMENTS" folder? I assume it did but wanted to ask.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Ok...so how come you didn't tell me any of this when I was asking in my "stupid" thread about doing a back up......

edit: I guess because I do not have an external hard drive.....sorry!

Richfield is up here by Bill & I - excellent school system. Nice area that we (Greg & I - not Bill & I lol ) would like to live in.

Wooster is a bit further south (enroute to Columbus - about 45 minutes from me & I have no idea about it.

i have a backup program i think it's called Backup Express pro.

it let's me specify individual files, whole folders, whole drives, or anything inbetwen. It also lets me specify sequential backups (backing up only files that are new or changed) or full (everything)

and of course scheduled backups or manual start.

this was for my windows 98 machine:

I'd back up My Documents. (as a side note, I try to make ALL of my programs save their files to My Docs)

I also back up the bookmarks directory in the windows folder so that all my I.E bookmarks were saved.

i had the folders for my Visual Basic projects and my AutoCad R14 projects saved to.

it would make .ZIP files of each folder and put them in a specified folder. I would keep copies of the files on my 2nd hard drive in the machine just for convience liek if I accidently deleted or over-wrote a file, then I'd also keep a copy of the .zip files on my other computer incase somthing happened to one or the other.

i used to keep them on CD rom, but it didn't take long before my back up files were over 650mb total and keeping them on CD rom didnt' work any longer.

but now that I have a DVD-ROM that can put 4.7gb on a DVD.. I might go back to that.

There is one last option that I think is really cool...

Using a specialized backup program like Norton's Ghost.. you make an exact duplicate 'image' of your hard drive to another drive, in this case, an EXTERNAL hard drive via USB port. once the back up is done unplug the drive and store it.. then if anything happens to your hard drive, you put a new drive in the machine, GHOST the image off the back up back on to your new drive, and it's like the failure never happened....

just some ideas smile