Tubing

Chevyss

and you will not be able to use the back seat,

the larger wheel wells cut into the area for it

the frame had to be cut and narrowed

the rear suspension has to be replaced/reworked

the rear axle has to be replaced with a shorter one and the mounting brackets for it have to be custom made and welded to the axle

if you have a full exhaust, it will have to be reworked

the fuel tank will also be useless, you'll have to use a fuel cell

there are kits for this, this is something that needs to be left to a professional builder, ANY screw-ups with a project like this will lead to an extremely unsafe vehicle

I have spoken to many about this, the general consensus is that it's approx a $10,000 job give or take depending on parts used

There is always mini tubbing.

The same things would be involved that Sam mentioned but you could get away with using the back seat with some slight alterations to the seat frame that is assuming you just want more room for wider tires and are not gonna install a roll bar or cage. Because if you install a bar you probably will lose the rear seat anyways...although there are ways to save the seat in those cases also...although the bars may not pass NHRA or IHRA rules.

I've priced back halfing a car also and Sam is dead on with the price of $10,000

Bill

sam you can still run the backseat when you tub a car. you just move the rear end back some. i know of atleast three tub cars with the back seat. one of the tub cars runs full exhaust and had a custom fuel tank made but left it in the stock location. when my uncle did his 56 he used the org. frame rails and moved then inward. he is also the one with a stock style gas tank and full exhaust. the other two has a fuel cell in the trunk and the exhaust runs out in front of the rear tire. best thing is to do your homework and ask people with tub cars. and if you want to do it yourself make sure you have a good welder and take your time.

I've seen the tubs for sale in Jeg's and Summit, and I know you can get some that aren't really that big. What all would be involved in a mini tub set up? How much bugger of a tire would you be able to squeeze under the car without major modification? I've always thought it would be so cool to have huge tubs on the car, but the type of work involved and the cost to do it (because I would NOT do it myself)is just too much. This is all way down the road, and I'm still undecided on the rim and tire set up but I'd like to have a 15x10 in the rear and a 15x8 (or maybe 15x6 cool) up front, would a small tub swap be enough, and would I have to narrow the rear end?

Like I said this is all a long way away, but it was brought up so I figured I'd ask.

mac get the 15x10 with the right backspacing and you wont need to mini tub it. i ran 15x10 with 5" backspacing and had to trim the wheel well lip a little so it would not rub. tire wise i had 295/50 on the 15x10. again it will be a matter of planing out the project instead of jumping right into it.

I tubbed my Monte and it worked out really good (I think) you can take a look at my pictures. It was defiantly a lot of work especially being my first car and being only 15 with out much help. The only thing that I really don't like is the sealant I used around them. Defiantly go steel if you want them to last for any period of time. I riveted mine in (don't have a welder) and they seemed to work out good. I have 29.5,10.5,15 tires underneath fitting well but I had to go with a 6" backspacing to fit underneath.

I tubbed my Monte

I finally was able to login and view your pictures...quite an extensive restoration you got going on, I had no idea you took it that far...thumbs_up.gif

As far as tubbing it though I see you made tubs for it and have them installed but you have a stock frame (unless I'm missing something). What did the tubs gain for tire clearance if the frame is not narrowed or even notched and boxed?

Bill

Wow I also created a account over at Hub Garage to see your pictures, and that is a sweet project you are working on. Are you really only 15? That is cool that you are building a older muscle car at that age.

Mainly height as I am running a 29.5 inch tall tire. Also by them being completely flat instead of rounded they gain way more room inside for different tire sizes. There more like a mini tub than a full tub but I did remove all the material between the old tub and the frame about 2 inches of just tin basicly. But I also really like the look.

Garrett.

hrrm ... I was gonna say.. I run 26x10 slicks on 15x8's and I didn't even touch the car...

my steet tires are 255/60-15's which works out to 25x10.5 but I think that might be on an 8" wheel. (I use the stock 15x7)

• 4 weeks later...
What is involved in doing a tub job? I've heard so much about tubing your car for more tire room. Does anyone have ideas?

Thanks in advance. shifter

I know it's already been said but it's alot of work and money. I do love the look though and I'm the only Monte in my area that's tubed.