shift kit for TH350 trans

i have 73,500 miles was told orig miles on my turbo 350 trans would i damage my trans if i put a shift kit in it? what would be the best thing to do? thanks

I've installed several through the years, and they are worth the time to do so. Even if it's strictly a grocery getter or a weekend strip warrior. Just don't get too carried away with thinking the STRIP version is the way to go VS just wanting to "firm up" the shifts. lolcool

I'm no transmission expert, but my undestanding is a shift kit will actually increase the life of your tranny by reducing clutch slippage which in turn reduces tranny-killing heat.

Mike

THAT IS EXACTLY RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!! I INSTALLED A B&M SHIFT IMPROVER KIT IN MINE LIKE 12 YEARS AGO AND I'M RUNNING THE ORIGINAL UN-TOUCHED 72 TH-350 !!!! wink

I agree with the above, the shift kit will not cure a transmission problem but if it is in good working order I think it extends the life of the tranny by not slipping the clutches between gears to make the shifts smooth. I have had good luck with both TCI and B&M transpak If you have never done one before the B&M seems to have clearer instructions for a novice.

Yes, like said it will inprove the life of a tranny. It helps the transmission change without slippange, the less slippage the less wear.

But it also gives you a firmer shift, and at least in my car made it bark the rear tires when it changes, before the shiftkit, no barking tires when it changed. smile

Yes, like said it will inprove the life of a tranny. It helps the transmission change without slippange, the less slippage the less wear.

But it also gives you a firmer shift, and at least in my car made it bark the rear tires when it changes, before the shiftkit, no barking tires when it changed. smile

...which brings up another good point. The firmer shifts could potentially shock the rest of your drivetrain. Your diff, u-joints, etc. will take a little (albeit minimal) extra beating.

Mike

I put a home made shift kit in mine ... a couple of tweaked springs while it was being assembled... a piece of broom handle in place of a spring...adjustable modulator.. and I can SPIN the rear tires going into 2nd @ 60 mph.

(2.73's)

So which is the best kit to get ,where from and how much.?? would it be the B and M shift improver from Summit for 30 bucks??

That is the kit I have. smile Its been in there for over 5 years, still going strong. So good so far. I would highly recommend it. smile

(knock on wood) wink

Jared

think im gonna try the B&M improver for 30$ sound good. does it cherp 2nd and 3rd? thanks Paul

I put a B&M shift kit in another 72 Monte that I had. It had a 406 sb with a TH350 and it would easily chirp 2nd and if I was really on it, it would chirp 3rd.

Ok, so there is a heavy duty and a street strip kit from B&M. Which one will make the biggest difference without being too much?

That would be personal preference. In my above post, I did the strip version but I wanted the tranny to nail 2nd and 3rd. As far as a converter, that would all depend on what your combo is. Get all your specs together and call any of the good companies such as Coan or ATI. They're a little pricey but good. I'm sure others could add to the list.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done installing B&M shift improver kit,not terribly dificult,now time to reinstall tranny,had to replace front pump seal originally.

Tranny is now completely degreased,with new seals,shift kit, new vacuum modulator,new chrome dipstick!!!Need to order a bell housing cover and I'll be ready to CRUISE!!!YEEE HAAA!!!