WHAT Torque converter to BUY?????

astrochimp

Finally got the motor out on a stand (1st in 35 years)...the torque converter is stock.

I'm puttin in a crane cam(somewhat mild), i put on a performer intake, performer 600cfm carb, headers, Pertronix&Hyfire ignition, etc...

I'm looking for Brand, and Stall i should be lookin at. (Who MAKEs the best converters?)

I've heard a few times that B&M converters are crap.

$$$$ is a factor in the choice

getting ready for the 1st annual west michigan cruise august 27th.

I wish I cauld tell you what to buy, but let me say this about the B&M: I had a 2400 stall behind a 375 hp 350. It performed well for the most part, but I felt it slipped too much at higher rpms - inefficient. Sure, its supposed to slip coming off the line, but even at rpms above 3000, it never felt like the engine was directly connected to the wheels.

I had a local company build a converter for my BB, and it stalls to about 2200, but over 3000, it almost feels like a lockup converter.

I am totally satisfied with my TCI converter. Stall will depend on what cam you decide to go with. I have an Energizer cam, with a Sizzler converter, works like a dream with the big bore, AFB, Weiand intake and headers.

Jim

For the money the TCI is the best in it's price range. Coan or ATI are the better names but higher priced. The best would probably be the Neal Chance converters HIGH DOLLAR though!

Don

I don't think stock converters come with a stall RPM. The one I have is basically a stock converter, but manufactured by TCI. Like I said, I am totally satisfied.

Jim

Stock checks to be about 1200/1300 most of the time. If you want to feel the converter the SAT night special would be the one to use 1600/1800 stall. The sizzler will work but you most likley won't feel it 1500/1700 stall. For a street car I wouldn't go any more than the breakaway though 2200/2400 stall unless you have enough rear gear that your normal 60 mph cruise rpm is 2500+. If your highway cruise rpm is below the stall rpm of the converter it will create some heat and shorten trans and converter life. Let your cruise rpm guide your choice if you do alot of highway driving. If you just run around town most of the time and are looking for more bang from light to light go with the higher stall speeds. Post your gear ratio and tire size and it will help the selection be more precise.

Don

i BELIEVE my rear gear is like 2.70

Wheels are stock 15" with stock tires.

I will replace that 2.70 someday...

I saw a saturday nite with a 2000 stall, that looked kinda good

• 4 weeks later...

I did some research awhile back

The B&M Holeshot convertors have a thrust bearing.

The TCI convertors of the simular price range do not have a thrust bearing, yet their expensive ones do.

So after breaking my Summit Racing brand convertor (TCI)

I bouught a B&M holeshot 2000, should have went with the pricier 2400 though.

as far as a convertor slipping in final drive, the only ones that don't are the "Lock Up" convertors.

Typically, the higher the stall speed the more it slips in final drive.

I have to stick up for B&M converters here... I have an old 3000 holeshot in my Camaro that has seen, no lie, over 100 nitrous passes and now lives a rough life behind a 540. I recently put a "nitrous 2400" in my Monte- love it so far!

Just my two cents. I have a saturday night special behind my mild 350 with 3:23 gears for atleast five years now. Still running strong.

did u goto that from a stock converter?

Notice any difference after changing it?

I did change from a stock converter but when I changed, I also dropped in the freshly rebuilt motor (with some goodies) at the same time so I noticed quite a difference due to everything that had been changed.

Since the stall is not much over stock she accelerates great down low which was important to me as I was afraid the cam I used(Comp Cams Magnum Series 280H) was going to kill me off the line.

I have to stick up for B&M converters here... I have an old 3000 holeshot in my Camaro that has seen, no lie, over 100 nitrous passes and now lives a rough life behind a 540. I recently put a "nitrous 2400" in my Monte- love it so far!

i have to second that. i had a 2400 holeshot behind my 427bbc, then a 468bbc, then a 496bbc, and it took all the beating i gave it at the track and in town for over ten years. b&m makes good convertors.

thanh