Fender patch panel advice

Hey everyone. Trying to get back at the metal work now, and I'm currently working on my fender patches. I got the panels from Leo. I'm sure some people have some experience with them. They aren't perfect but an excellent starting point...

With my grandpa gone now I don't really have a 2nd opinion or set of eyes at the ready. Please let me know what you think, how it's looking, any advice or suggestions. I can take more pics if needed. I think I'm close to be able to tack in place. I know the door edge needs a bit of work. 

20240516_170716.jpg

20240516_170724.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

If you can I'd cut it just under the body line, things will have less of a tendency to warp if you weld closer to a body line. 

Sadly the cuts have already been made. I'm actually RE-patching them, because my homemade ones weren't good enough. The patch panel is crimped and under the remaining original fender material. I'm not too worried about warping, I can easily take my time doing small welds etc. I'm more worried about it lining up with the body lines correctly. It's been so long since my car has been together I swear I forget how it's supposed to look lol. I think I'm at the right place to tack it and work on the edges/seams but I'm unsure 

Get the fender exactly where you want in before you weld the patch in. I would make sure I had the hood and fender wells installed also because they all need to fit together. Once its tacked together you could remove it and weld it completely. It looks like the patch if overlapping the fender. If so, do you plan to cut it for a butt weld?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2024 at 5:05 PM, Rancid87 said:

Get the fender exactly where you want in before you weld the patch in. I would make sure I had the hood and fender wells installed also because they all need to fit together. Once its tacked together you could remove it and weld it completely. It looks like the patch if overlapping the fender. If so, do you plan to cut it for a butt weld?

its crimped, i was planning on going with a lap weld

I think it looks pretty darn good. Did you make these? That would be a good side job making these since new fenders are over $ 800 each. Mostly that section of the fender is where the rot is. Leo Konink, ( Koninks Klassics) had someone making these , and I was lucky enough to get a pair. My body guy was impressed by how well they fit each side. I think you're doing a heck of a job on your Monte Carlo. Love those wheels !!😊😊

• Like 1