Level ride questions

overdrive

I have 2 compressors now, original brackets and repro. brackets and 2 valves. I was able to get 1 compressor working. I've only tested it to 10 pounds. I just had a hose on a pressure guage pushed over the air line. 95% of the original lines are still in place. I need to splice in a short piece from the comp. to the frame, just behind the front tire. I have some many questions. grin

The pressure bled off fairly quick after I shut the motor off. Is this normal or should it hold the pressure? I'm thinking it shouldn't bleed off quickly.

Does anybody have any repair parts for the compressors? I at least need some gaskets and an o-ring. I'm not sure just yet what else I'll need to get the 2nd compressor to work.

Where can I get the correct size air line? The original line is smaller than any aftermarket lines I've seen. I only need about 4 or 5 feet of the black air line.

Where can I get paper or online info on how this system works?

All I have is an owners manual, dealer brochure, and a Haynes repair manual for the Monte. None of them mention the system.

Does anyone know where to get an air inlet filter?

Does anyone here have a good pic of the filter?

Has anyone here made an inlet filter? I have the base for one, but that is all. The rest has decayed.

Does the compressor shut off at a certain pressure, or will it run all of the time the engine is running? I know the frame mounted valve will regulate the pressure.

I'm trying to get about everything on the car working before I take it apart for a full restoration. How many of you guys and gals have reliable, working level ride systems, or have these always been a problem on the Monte Carlo?

Sorry for so many questions, but I think there are probably others here that can use the same information. There is very little info about this system that I've been able to find, so far.

Thanks for any help. I'm looking forward to getting my level ride working again.

Dan.

I had a nice conversation with Bob today and he was very helpful.

I need to remove the compressor from the car and plug the outlet port. Pressurize the compressor with an air hose to 110-120 psi through the Schrader valve on the compressor. It should not lose but maybe 5 psi in 24 hrs. Check for leaks by submerging in water. I can also check the rest of the system by installing a Schrader valve on the air line at the top of the inner fender and airing up the shocks from there. Check for leaks with soapy water. After any leaks are fixed, install the compressor and air up the system through the Schrader valve to about 50 lbs. before starting the car to let the compressor run the pressure on up.

With the original base that I have, I can make an inlet filter for the compressor. He said the top of the filter can be made from a piece of thin rubber. He sent me these pics to post.

364424141.jpg

364424142.jpg

Dan,

I do have some infomration on the load leveling system that I got from a Chilton's manual (it shows a pictorial assembly diagram of the entire air reservior tank). I also have a dcoument that explains how the entire system fuctions.

As for the air filter, I have a NOS filter in the bag similar to the one that you posted the pictures of. If you want, one of the times when I go to Quincy to see my Mom, I can meet with you to show you the filter. As for the documents, I can scan them in and e-mail them to you if you want.

If you have additonal documentation on the syem, I would like to add more to my information collection. Take care.

Jim

Hi Jim. A member here named Lyle, from Eldon, MO. gave me the exploded view of the compressor and the parts list. I'd forgotten I have that. I'd like to have the info. explaining how the system works. Please send that by email and I can post it here.

I'd like to see the filter. Please let me know when you'll be up this way. I bet you were here last Sunday. You missed a great car show in Hannibal on Sat.

I'll make an inlet filter but I'm also interested in buying an original one. If anyone has any leads on where I can get one, please PM me.

I've exchanged messages with him before. I don't think I need another compressor at this time. When I get time to test this system out, I may find out differently.

Here are the pics of the filter I made using the original base, foam rubber from an old seat cushion and a piece of black industrial closed cell pipe insulation.

Not exactly a K&N quality part, but it'll work.

365036373.jpg

365036381.jpg

365036376.jpg

Dan/Jake,

I have been away from the computer for the last week (I went down to Nashville to do the shooting for TV Show Muscle Car, ( I will talk about this a different posting)so I am sorry that I have not gotten back to you sooner. I will get the documents scanned in and get them e-mailed off to you today.

Dan, please go post this on the site, as I am not sure how to do this. I must say that you have done a good job in making your own filter, it really looks good.

I will let you know the next time we come up to Quincy and I will bring the filter by for you to see.

Jim

Guest Lyle

Dan; Looks like you did a good job on your filter. What did you make it out of? I think I will give it a try.

PLMK;

Thanks;

Lyle

Thanks Lyle. I had an old camper that I scrapped out and I had saved some of the seat cushions. I used the foam rubber from that, but you can buy different densities of foam at a craft store.

I have a sheet of 1" thick, dense insulation for large industrial tanks that I cut pieces from to use for seat cushions in my deer stands. I shaved the surface layer from some of that for the top. I think a pc. of innertube would work better, I'll try that on the next one.

I used some spray adhesive, but it's already failing. I need to use the good 3M stuff for vinyl tops, I think.

I just held the base down over the foam rubber and cut it close to the base with a knife. Do the same for the thin top material. Glue the pcs. together and then trim with scissors and finally sand with a small pneumatic sander to get the final shape. Just be careful to not sand the base. To protect it, you can wrap it with a few layers of tape.

I now have an original 1970 chassis manual that has good information on this system.

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jim. I finally took the time to upload the scans to my picturetrail site so I can post them. I've been working on the 70. smile I can't get all of the info to show on 1 pic. It would be too small. If anyone needs this info, I can forward it.

Tim Gronli had sent me pics and the pages he wrote about rebuilding the compressor and the control valve, a few months ago, but my computer won't open them.

Dan

366795873.jpg

366795874.jpg

366797697.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hey Guys, would you mind sending me the info you have on rebuilding/mounting/installing the load level compressor system?

I'd really appreciate it.

If you can PM me with it, that would be great emailing it direct to me would be great also.

Thanks,

Larry